DC Rebirth Rumor(s)

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

GABE!
Special Reviewer

Re: DC Rebirth Rumor(s)

Post by GABE! »

I'm very surprised that Gotham Academy survived the purge. I love that book, and is one of the only DC titles I read, but it seems overlooked and is almost never mentioned by anyone.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

MisterFerro wrote:All books are $2.99. Action and Tec are going back to original numbering plus double-shipping. There is a DCU: Rebirth 80 page oneshot at end of May.
[WebWiz32]
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

DC announces a part of the creative team on Suicide Squad.

Jim Lee is part of the Artist Rotation on the book.

Since the book is slated for Fall, my guess is that the #Rebirth oneshot to be out on the last Wednesday of September and the series to come out in early October.

I hope DC releases the whole creative team for the double-shipping books and not just the first artist.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

GABE! wrote:I completely understand where you're coming from. My shop got burnt on the Convergence titles and the Future End 1-shots, and well most of the big DC events.
What's really hard to figure out is how to let already existing Pull Box member know what coming up, who (if any) do you automatically transfer over to the new titles. Grayson to Nightwing is a sure bet.
Yeah, once DC publishes its final game plan, or as far along as we can get, we will start creating little sheets for our pull list folks that will highlight what changes are happening, and what they may consider picking up to replace other titles. Hopefully DC can just come out with a little card that has checkboxes to hand out, but that might be asking a bit much :)
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

compsolut wrote: Yeah, once DC publishes its final game plan, or as far along as we can get, we will start creating little sheets for our pull list folks that will highlight what changes are happening, and what they may consider picking up to replace other titles. Hopefully DC can just come out with a little card that has checkboxes to hand out, but that might be asking a bit much :)
I think having a method of explaining which current title/character is going to end up after the realignment is a wonderful idea! I think DC should put something out, but retailers can put their own spin on it because they know their customer base.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

doctormo wrote:I think having a method of explaining which current title/character is going to end up after the realignment is a wonderful idea! I think DC should put something out, but retailers can put their own spin on it because they know their customer base.
DC really should explain the rebirth game play better. For instance, why is Titans Hunt getting reduced from a 21 issue series to 8 issues?
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

I was kind of excited about this "Re-Whatever" until I saw how many books are double shipping. There are 17 different titles by my count. Does this mean they are double shipping every month? If this is the case, then I won't be picking any of these up. What's the point of holding the line at $2.99 if I've got to buy two of these a month for $6. I've got a comic book budget and double shipping makes that very difficult to take on new books. I also don't like that editors have to change artists all the time to make up for double shipping. Some of the worst aspects that drove me away from Marvel are just being adopted by DC.
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

A good thing DC could copy from Marvel is adding a Checklist with all issues that are going to be involved in a story. JL #48 ended with continued in JL:Darkseid War #1 ?? wut... would have been nice to have a picture when the storyline started (around #40 almost a year ago?) with all the tie-ins and miniseries.

The alternative could ofcourse be to tell a story in one comic and not have it take 20 issues and more.

Really frustrated with the darkseid war... simliar feelings about trinity war and what was the thing that continued with that i skipped out of. JL really isnt for me :-)

New52 should have been a new start but this antimonitor, injustice league, and darkseid business feels like it builds upon very much old stories?

Cant be easy for DC, either upsetting old readers by trying to refresh stuff or confusing and putting off new readers.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

NiklasJ wrote: Cant be easy for DC, either upsetting old readers by trying to refresh stuff or confusing and putting off new readers.
yeah - cant please everyone, but hopefully they can please a few more of us
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
derlemke
Passerby

Post by derlemke »

I personally am excited about Rebirth, but my inner cynic keeps thinking of Convergence. What I'm excited to see are the creative teams that will be announced at Wonder Con. Anyways. Love the podcasts.
Joe3c
Fan

Post by Joe3c »

I am curious about pricing. As someone who buys off the newstand fairly often, I wonder whether or not the books will all be $3.99. Right now, books are either $4.99 or $3.99 with the exception of the all age titles which are still $2.99.
Outside of arcs shortening, the thing I really want fixed are the trades. Waiting a year for a trade is ridiculous. I have just started reading more DC, and I really am enjoying some of their "tertiary" titles. But even a recent book like Midnighter or Gotham Academy is 3 or 4 issues into the next arc before trade one comes out. This makes you either sit on issues, or trade wait. It becomes a cycle. To sell issues to someone who has just read the trade, they need to be closer to the Image or Marvel release cycle. If trade one has arc one, then the new arc should be solicited the same month as the first trade. Hope that makes sense.
I am excited. I will miss some books, but I missed books with the launch of the New 52. I really am hoping for the best.
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

What are the recommended reads from the DC rebirth?

Im having trouble deciding which titles i should be trying out, are there any help out there somewhere on the world wide web or here at cbp?

Which superman, batman, green lantern comic should one read if I only have place for one?

At the moment I get (from DC):
Batman
Grayson
Justice league
Batgirl
Martian Manhunter

Continuing with JL and Nightwing seems a no-brainer as i already get those titles even if nightwing twice monthly is a bit much. (wonder how long they can keep that schedule?)

I like Batman and also the work of Tom King but im slightly offput by solicits and cover of Batman #1, who are the two new characters? Detective comics look more fun with batwoman and bruce as mentors for the noobs (hope it dont focus too much on clayface...). Allstar Batman comes later but that will get a tryout, should be good with snyder and a nice art company.

I liked Johns N52 green lantern and sounds like the new Green Lanterns title will be more similar to that than the latest GL titles. Even if scifi stuff with jordan could be good i think sinestro should be the hero of the story.

Rucka on Wonder woman, dont need help there, check.

Titans? havent read anything with them before but if i read nightwing im afraid they will reference back and forth. Who are the titans and why do they exist when there is a justice league?

The superman solicits are quite confusing for me and not very appealing, either superdad in Superman or superLex in Action comics? and by spoilers from announcements i gather that this superman is believed to be
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
pre52 superman that was reintroduced during convergence?
Having not read that one im unsure... leaning to try a few issues of Superman though.

Skipping out on globetrotting Batgirl and Martian manhunter is not solicited to continue.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

NiklasJ wrote:What are the recommended reads from the DC rebirth?

Im having trouble deciding which titles i should be trying out, are there any help out there somewhere on the world wide web or here at cbp?

Which superman, batman, green lantern comic should one read if I only have place for one?

At the moment I get (from DC):
Batman
Grayson
Justice league
Batgirl
Martian Manhunter

Continuing with JL and Nightwing seems a no-brainer as i already get those titles even if nightwing twice monthly is a bit much. (wonder how long they can keep that schedule?)

I like Batman and also the work of Tom King but im slightly offput by solicits and cover of Batman #1, who are the two new characters? Detective comics look more fun with batwoman and bruce as mentors for the noobs (hope it dont focus too much on clayface...). Allstar Batman comes later but that will get a tryout, should be good with snyder and a nice art company.

I liked Johns N52 green lantern and sounds like the new Green Lanterns title will be more similar to that than the latest GL titles. Even if scifi stuff with jordan could be good i think sinestro should be the hero of the story.

Rucka on Wonder woman, dont need help there, check.

Titans? havent read anything with them before but if i read nightwing im afraid they will reference back and forth. Who are the titans and why do they exist when there is a justice league?

The superman solicits are quite confusing for me and not very appealing, either superdad in Superman or superLex in Action comics? and by spoilers from announcements i gather that this superman is believed to be
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
pre52 superman that was reintroduced during convergence?
Having not read that one im unsure... leaning to try a few issues of Superman though.

Skipping out on globetrotting Batgirl and Martian manhunter is not solicited to continue.
I'm very excited for the DC:Rebirth line of titles. The New 52 lost me after about 6 months or so time frame. But DC: Rebirth looks like we will be getting the return of many of my favorite characters that I think didn't get a decent chance to shine in the New 52.

Which is why, if a gun was held to my head and I had to choose only 1 Batman title it will be Detective Comics. I love the characters of Batwoman, Spoiler, and Cassandra Caine and having them in a sort of Batman Family team has me all in on this title.

As for Superman. Again, I was left unfulfilled with the New 52 version. Then I started to hear great reviews about the Superman Lois and Clark series and how it was the Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois Lane back and raising a child. So I picked it up, which is my first Superman comic in nearly 5 years, and I really enjoyed it. So I will continue following them into DC: Rebirth and I will even pick up the comic staring their son, Jon and Damien, too.

Other titles I'm looking forward to are Blue Beetle. I'm curious to see how the dynamic between the two Blue Beetles will work out.

Teen Titans looks great thanks to the wonder Jonboy art.

Thanks to DCBS' 60% discount on the Rebirth bundle I will be reading all that I can until I find out which ones to cut, or the DCBS discount stops.

Hope this helps a little.
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

Thanks for the input, that Im not the only one that prefers Detective over adjectiveless sounds good. Also giving SuperMan a new chance.

Not quite as excited but im going to try out a few, going from 5 DC titles to 9 (hope they arent all double shipping...)