Eric Stephens' Speech at ComicsPro

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

GABE!
Special Reviewer

Eric Stephens' Speech at ComicsPro

Post by GABE! »

https://imagecomics.com/content/view/i- ... omicspro-s
Variants don’t build a lasting readership on the books you’re trying to sell. At best, they pay short-term dividends; at worst, they deprive fans of something that is limited in nature. All comics should be for everyone. Not just collectors. Not just whoever has the most cash on hand.

By the same token, if you are a publisher trying to force your comics into the marketplace with exclusive variants retailers can only order by irresponsibly increasing their orders: Stop.

You’re getting a short-term sales boost at best, and you don’t benefit from stacks of unsold books cluttering up the stands or being shoved into dollar boxes.

And really, what do any of us gain by spamming LootCrate customers with copies of a book that will be selling a fraction of its first issue total when #2 ships, other than market share? We’ve all played that game, and without a clear marketing plan for how to convert those blind box copies to real sales, to real readers, it gets us nowhere. Stop.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Re: Eric Stephens' Speech at ComicsPro

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Eric Stephenson is clearly a comic fan of all genres. All his past speeches are a rallying cry for positive industrial expansion. A passionate call to retailers to pass up on the quick buck for stable sales growth may fall on deaf ears, but for the indie book sales leader to stand up and say no to gimmicks brings hope to the industry itself.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

Some of the things Eric Stephenson said at ComicsPro were similar to things he discussed in his recent CBR Interview. I certainly agree with many of his statements and believe that retailers play a key role in shaping things. Not every fan keeps up with comic news sites or listens to podcasts. Since retailers are one (if not) the primary conduit to buyers, they need to help educate them about why they are not or cannot order incentive covers. Retailers also need to a good job of diversifying their stock and hand-selling titles. For instance, if you are an adult who like space operas such as Star Wars, Saga may interest you.

I think Stephenson's speech is an interesting contrast to Geoff John's DC Rebirth video. IMO, part of DC's problem is the New 52 wanted to get away from the notion of legacy. There is a cyclical nature to DC and Marvel superhero comics that are ingrained into their DNA. That does not mean there cannot be change, growth, or experimentation. However, they need a small R&D section devoted to that development. DC and Marvel are caretakers who lay the groundwork for the future, but Image is freer to focus more on change and innovation. I believe the comics industry needs both types of companies in order to work.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

GABE! wrote:https://imagecomics.com/content/view/i- ... omicspro-s
Variants don’t build a lasting readership on the books you’re trying to sell. At best, they pay short-term dividends; at worst, they deprive fans of something that is limited in nature. All comics should be for everyone. Not just collectors. Not just whoever has the most cash on hand.

By the same token, if you are a publisher trying to force your comics into the marketplace with exclusive variants retailers can only order by irresponsibly increasing their orders: Stop.

You’re getting a short-term sales boost at best, and you don’t benefit from stacks of unsold books cluttering up the stands or being shoved into dollar boxes.

And really, what do any of us gain by spamming LootCrate customers with copies of a book that will be selling a fraction of its first issue total when #2 ships, other than market share? We’ve all played that game, and without a clear marketing plan for how to convert those blind box copies to real sales, to real readers, it gets us nowhere. Stop.
This all sounds a bit familiar...
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

It seems like Eric Stephenson has been listening to John's Comic Book Page podcast a lot.

I would have to agree with this speech. And I would love to see DC just pick up this ball and run with it. What if DC took all this great advice and put it in their Rebirth. It doesn't seem that way yet based on what we know, but I can dream. What if DC just did away with the big line wide events, short term deaths, the re-numbering, excessive new #1's, the variant covers, and double shipping. And they went out and got the best creators, focused on the best stories and innovation.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

IanG wrote: What if DC just did away with the big line wide events, short term deaths, the re-numbering, excessive new #1's, the variant covers, and double shipping. And they went out and got the best creators, focused on the best stories and innovation.
I would hope that sales would go up as a result. Shame we might never find out...
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive