Aftershock Comics offerings

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Aftershock Comics offerings

Post by drew »

As mentioned on a recent MayoRpt - this is Aftershock Comics line up so far (they also had a super cheap 3 issue new series bundle from DCBS-you may still be able to add)

I have sampled all but Insexts and have liked/loved about half of what i've read (American Monster is my Fave)

American Monster (MR)
(W) Brian Azzarello

(A/CA) Juan Doe

The ugliest side of humanity may be humanity’s only hope.

In a small Midwestern town, a large man with a horribly scarred face gets off a bus, and takes a room. He spooks the locals--nobody knows him--or do they? It’s impossible to say be-cause he seemingly has no face. The man’s intentions remain unknown, until he takes on a corrupt sheriff and the rural crew of racist arms dealers. The town’s impression of the man changes, and he’s seen as a hero…until his real intentions bubble to the surface. The man isn’t there to end the gang, but to take it over. And he’s just getting started.

Dreaming Eagles (MR)
(W) Garth Ennis

(A) Simon Coleby

(CA) Francesco Francavilla

Inspired by true events, Dreaming Eagles tells the story of the first African Ameri-can fighter pilots to join the United States Army Air Force in WWII and whose humble beginnings in Tuskegee, Alabama propelled them into the deadly skies above Adolf Hitler’s Third Reich. Not only were they instrumental against the Nazi war machine, but also braved an equally great challenge, overcoming everyday bigotry amongst their fellow American soldiers as well as civilians at home. High in the heavens, they fought a battle that would change their country and their world forever. Industry legend Garth Ennis (Preacher, The Boys, Hellblazer) joins artist Simon Coleby (2000 AD, The Authority) for this high-flying tale of love, war and family.

InSEXts (MR)
(W) Marguerite Bennett

(A/CA) Ariela Kristantina

At the dusk of a century, a pair of vengeful Victorian vixens discover a horrifying power that transforms them into rich and strange new creatures. Armed with their dark, evolving forms, they descend into a world of the cultured and occult, with new senses and new sensuality, to forge a life for themselves and the child of their love. This new monthly series is the brainchild of writer Marguerite Bennett (A-Force, Angela, Red Sonja) and artist Ariela Kristantina (Wolverines, Deep State), a comic unlike any you’ve seen before!

Replica (MR)
(W) Paul Jenkins

(A/CA) Andy Clarke

Meet Trevor Carter, an Earth-born peacekeeping agent on the intergalactic hub known as The Transfer. When Trevor’s already near impossible assignment becomes a bit too much for the errant detective, he turns to the only logical ap-proach, Replication. More of a good thing can’t hurt, right? A single clone could be helpful; unfortunately the replication process doesn’t go as planned! Written by Eisner-award winning author Paul Jenkins (Wolverine: Origin, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man) and art superstar Andy Clarke (Batman, Judge Dredd), this monthly series promises to be fun, daring, adventurous and most times, quite offensive.

Second Sight (PG)
(W) David Hine

(A/CA) Alberto Ponticelli

Twenty years ago, Ray Pilgrim became a celebrity when he discovered his unique ability to see through the eyes of psychotic killers who were terrorizing London. But his world collapsed around him when he was accused of the same crimes as the monsters he hunted. Now, Pilgrim’s teenage daughter is using her blog to investigate a ring of child abusers that includes some of the most powerful men in British society – men who are prepared to kill anyone who threatens to expose them. In order to protect his daughter and uncover the truth, Pilgrim must reluctantly revisit his past and the twisted path that led to the hotel room the media called The Bloody Chamber.

Strayer (PG)
(W) Justin Jordan

(A/CA) Juan Gedeon

The world is full of monsters. Strayer kills them, but, of course, for a small fee… Nothing is free. Mala does magic of a sort… sometimes when she wants, sometimes not… She may be the only one who can save the world and Strayer is going to help her… whether he likes it or not…

From the popular creators behind the Luther Strode trilogy, Spread, and Ghost Racers.

SuperZero
(W) Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti

(A) Rafael de Latorre

(CA) Amanda Conner

With great power comes a bit of insanity, anxiety, and a dash of social alienation! Have you ever fantasized about being a super hero? Well Dru Dragowski does; that’s all this nineteen-year-old, comic book obsessed, high school senior thinks about. She needs to escape the normalcy of suburban life! Her plan? To become a real-life superhero by recreating the origins of her favorite comic characters! Hopefully then, she can become a hero not only for herself – but to protect every-one around her! If only that plan went just the slightest bit right... This fun, teen-agnst filled monthly series is created by the sensational writing duo that brings you Harley Quinn and Starfire – Jimmy Palmiotti & Amanda Conner.

http://aftershock.world/series.html
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Aftershock Comics offerings

Post by JohnMayo »

What did you think of Replica? That is the one I'm curious about.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

JohnMayo wrote:What did you think of Replica? That is the one I'm curious about.
Not for me, art is nice but it is super sci-fi but not in a good way

Seemed like they were going for a Fuse vibe but it lost its way, got confusing

I really liked Jenkins revelations over at Dark horse so this was disappointing
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

I have not been reading any of these, but the other owner of our shop reads anything Ennis, and has been really enjoying Dreaming Eagles.

One thing that cannot be denied is the perceived quality of creators on their books. The best way to be legitimate out of the gates is to have quality names in your rotation. I will add that one thing I am impressed with is that they aren't overloading themselves with books. There are no #1's for March, and there was only one for February. A nice steady diet of quality books is better than blasting the market with a lot of mediocre or bad titles. One could argue this is the DC issue right now - a glut of mediocre titles.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

I guess its a marvel editor who left to run this new company:
http://aftershock.world/about.html
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

I really enjoyed American Monster #1. I haven't read the second issue yet. I'm a big fan of Juan Doe's art. It's very different than what you used to using and it still tells the story well.

A slight warning though, it's R-rated comic book as in swearing, some nudity, and of course graphic violence. It's a comic book though, so it doesn't offend me much, but I wouldn't let young kids read it.

In hindsight, I wish I'd picked up more of these books. I do look forward to getting the DCBS bundle from a couple months ago.
ChrisMyers
Contributor

Post by ChrisMyers »

The only title I have tried is American Monster, though I have Rough Riders on order. I found American Monster to be well done from a storytelling and artistic standpoint but I will admit I was put off by the violence and profanity. As we all know not every story is for every person. That being said I look forward to other offerings from Aftershock specifically Rough Riders. Great Mayo Report with Sam as usual.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

ChrisMyers wrote:The only title I have tried is American Monster, though I have Rough Riders on order. I found American Monster to be well done from a storytelling and artistic standpoint but I will admit I was put off by the violence and profanity.
Issue 2 was really good, so this is gonna stick on the reading list, might be time to boot another big two title, eanie meanie minie moe...
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

This is so good, 4 issues in is a small sample size but it's a top of the stack book for me:

SuperZero
(W) Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti
(A) Rafael de Latorre
(CA) Amanda Conner

With great power comes a bit of insanity, anxiety, and a dash of social alienation! Have you ever fantasized about being a super hero? Well Dru Dragowski does; that’s all this nineteen-year-old, comic book obsessed, high school senior thinks about. She needs to escape the normalcy of suburban life! Her plan? To become a real-life superhero by recreating the origins of her favorite comic characters! Hopefully then, she can become a hero not only for herself – but to protect every-one around her! If only that plan went just the slightest bit right... This fun, teen-agnst filled monthly series is created by the sensational writing duo that brings you Harley Quinn and Starfire – Jimmy Palmiotti & Amanda Conner.

http://aftershock.world/series.html
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

A new Aftershock title Jackpot starts on April 13th - http://aftershockcomics.com/jackpot/. I plan on getting the first issue.

Meet the World's Greatest Con Artists on the eve of the greatest scam in human history --ripping off the Gods themselves! The high-stakes, high-octane story of JACKPOT! begins here! Ray Fawkes, acclaimed creator of INTERSECT (writer of Gotham by Midnight and Batman: Eternal) teams up with Marco Failla (Spider-Man & the X-Men) to bring a new mind-bending, genre-busting monthly series from AfterShock!

The first issue is only $1.99, subsequent issues appear to be $3.99.

I wonder when Aftershock is going to release more information about the Mark Waid/Tom Peyer title.