Another Comics to TV/Movie Relation Article

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Another Comics to TV/Movie Relation Article

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... -movies-tv

Main talking points from the article:
Option #1: Align Your Release Schedule With TV and Movies
Option #2: Wipe It Clean, Make the Comics All About the TV and Movies
Option #3: Ignore Everything I Just Said

My 2 cents:
I disagree with almost everything written in this article. I think I agree with some points that John has made in the past. And that is mainly that TV & movies can be a gateway into comics, but not a quick sales fix. I’m pretty sure that Batman ’89, Batman:TAS, X-Men Cartoon, Lois & Clark:New Adventure of Supes, & even that short lived Flash tv show had a huge influence on what I read & watch, even today. Or that I even buy books today. But I also didn’t need Batman:TAS to line up with Knightfall or Lois & Clark to match Death of Superman. Even a young teen me was able to tell that the two mediums were different. And that’s okay! If people wanted the same thing out of comics as on TV those Arrow & The Flash adapted books would have flown off the shelves. Right now, it isn’t even worth my time to put the #1’s up on ebay. Nick Spencer’s Astonishing Ant-Man is tonally the same as the movie and isn’t doing that great.

On the story telling side, how would you be able to write comics?
• With a plan of 24 Batman & Detective Comics issues being planned a year, what could they be about? You shouldn’t use main villains or hero’s as that will only cause continuity issues in the future.
• Would they just be filler until the next movie comes out? Not completely different to what happens to Agents of SHIELD show.