What's the deal with SHAZAM?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

jacovny
Contributor

What's the deal with SHAZAM?

Post by jacovny »

*"Darkseid War: Shazam" spoilers follow*

My gateway into comics was DC's "Legends" mini-series in 1986 (I was 11). I'd passed by that spinner rack in Waldenbooks a hundred times without giving it a glance, but there on the cover of issue #1 was Darkseid and other characters I recognized from "SuperFriends", along with... SHAZAM? I'd enjoyed his Saturday morning cartoon years earlier, and was intrigued to know that he was a part of the same universe that Superman occupied. I was sold. I collected every appearance of Captain Marvel in the D.C. Universe that I could find (mostly team-ups with Superman in "D.C. Presents"), along with a few issues of his solo title, while reading up on his Golden Age background. I could easily see how he'd once had the world's #1-selling superhero comic. For me, the appeal was still there. What kid wouldn't love the idea of saying a magic word and transforming into a grown adult?

The Golden Age Captain Marvel, if I understand those stories correctly, was essentially two persons occupying the same body -- in other words, when he said "Shazam", he was no longer Billy Batson, or at least, Captain Marvel became the dominant personality. The post-Crisis interpretation seemed different in that the character (now simply called "Shazam") was now a single consciousness. Billy says the magic word and becomes a powerful adult, but he's still mentally a child -- albeit a child with the "wisdom of Solomon". That's how he was written in the Giffen/DeMatteis "Justice League" title, and it worked for me. When Shazam spoke, he sounded childlike, yet wise beyond his years and not prone to foolishness.

In the New 52, we had an entertaining run of Shazam back-up features in "Justice League" by Geoff Johns, but when used alongside the rest of the league, neither Johns (nor any other writer) seems to know what to do with the character. The "wisdom of Solomon" is supposedly still present, but not on display very often. When he speaks, Shazam now sounds like an ordinary 12-year-old. He is decidedly more juvenile than he has ever been, coming across as someone who requires a babysitter. Then there's the "Darkseid War" Shazam one-shot I just finished reading, which prompted these observations. It's the most off-putting characterization of Shazam that I've ever read. I don't mind their redefining his power-set, although I don't think it was necessary, and I'm not sure why D.C. decided that was a need after barely using the character in years. What I do mind is his personality as written by Steve Orlando. He's portrayed as a rude, petulant punk. He arrogantly taunts whomever he's fighting and insults his wizard mentor frequently, scowling all the while. Who exactly is THIS Shazam's target demographic?

So let me get this straight: SHAZAM is no longer powered by Zeus, Hermes, or any other names which I would actually recognize, although his set of enablers coincidentally form the same acronym we're used to. I assume his speed and flight are gone? Wisdom's clearly out the door. I see "The Compassion of Anapel" has been added, although it's hardly on display in this issue as a glowering Batson down-downdresses his "old" and "terrible" benefactor. The wizard says toward the end that he'd hoped Batson would have "grown up a bit" since they last met. I'm hoping the same, because as presently written, this character has zero appeal for me going forward. It's disappointing, because it's one that I really WANT to like. Seems like I've been saying this about a lot of D.C. properties lately.

To end with a positive: I'm enjoying Venditti's work on Green Lantern recently.