Previews Spotlight #102 (Apr->Jun) Deadline: Sat AM, Apr 9

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Previews Spotlight #102 (Apr->Jun) Deadline: Sat AM, Apr

Post by JohnMayo »

drew wrote:no big two selections, that's rare, isn't it?
It has happened a time or two before. DC having the different listings kind of annoyed me. With neither DC or Marvel in the Previews text file I do my initial picks from it made it easier to just find things from other publishers rather than hunt down the DC and Marvel listings.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
Joe3c
Fan

Post by Joe3c »

Hope no one minds but reading Previews today, I feel a strong urge to point out one more book:

Marvel:
Drax #8

Cheers!
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

You all have picked great books, and I am not sure if Kowabunga is going to be throwing in a title or not this month. Regardless of that, I have a response to how retailers are dealing with Rebirth not being in Previews.

Firstly - we get an additional month to set our orders from what is printed on Previews. It is usually due the Friday morning 1 week after the date on the cover, by 4:00 am CST. Now, in the case of DC, I think that they hurt themselves with the readers more than they did with retailers. DC is providing full retainability for the first 8 months.

What DC did was essentially tell everyone that it was more important to introduce the teams at WonderCon than it was for fans to see and know the new/rebirthed titles.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

compsolut wrote:Now, in the case of DC, I think that they hurt themselves with the readers more than they did with retailers. DC is providing full retainability for the first 8 months.
did you mean 8 months of returnability? is that equal 8 months of rebirth titles are returnable or the initial rebirth titles are returnable 8 months later?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

compsolut wrote:You all have picked great books, and I am not sure if Kowabunga is going to be throwing in a title or not this month. Regardless of that, I have a response to how retailers are dealing with Rebirth not being in Previews.

Firstly - we get an additional month to set our orders from what is printed on Previews. It is usually due the Friday morning 1 week after the date on the cover, by 4:00 am CST. Now, in the case of DC, I think that they hurt themselves with the readers more than they did with retailers. DC is providing full retainability for the first 8 months.

What DC did was essentially tell everyone that it was more important to introduce the teams at WonderCon than it was for fans to see and know the new/rebirthed titles.
It sounds like DC is trying to support the retailers which is great. And not too surprising.

The returnability is a great move to lower the risk for retailers.

It really feels like DC was using WonderCon like a network "upfronts" when they announce the new television season. It works for television better than for comics since television shows usually tell a story per episode with a dozen or two per season will comics usually tell a single story over a six issue stretch. I'm curious when DC will do this sort of presentation again.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

drew wrote:Comics for Fun and Profit Picks:

I Hate Fairyland #6
Revival #41
Overstreet Price Guide
Who isn't excited for Overstreet to come out? LOL
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote:
drew wrote:Comics for Fun and Profit Picks:

I Hate Fairyland #6
Revival #41
Overstreet Price Guide
Who isn't excited for Overstreet to come out? LOL

I know right? some people :)
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Drew's Picks:

Harrow County #13
SuperZero #6
Lookers #0
Vision TPB
Last edited by drew on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

fudd71 wrote:Oh you guys keep drawing me back in, I'll do:

Action Comics #957
Batman:Rebirth
Titans: Rebirth
its a little like the mafia :)
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Drew, if you are doing a solicit for Lookers #0, will you be adding any sound effects or music? :D
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

bralinator wrote:Drew, if you are doing a solicit for Lookers #0, will you be adding any sound effects or music? :D
Dang it what a missed opportunity...bown chicki bown bown :)
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

I don't really know anything about the inner workings of Previews (or Marvel or DCBS for that matter); but it doesn't appear that there is an action-figure variant for Deadpool & Mercs for Money #5. Doesn't that seem a little odd, for a five part mini, that only #1 through #4 would have action-figure variants? Kinda wrecks my collection if I have four action-figure ones & then some random unmatching cover.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote:I don't really know anything about the inner workings of Previews (or Marvel or DCBS for that matter); but it doesn't appear that there is an action-figure variant for Deadpool & Mercs for Money #5. Doesn't that seem a little odd, for a five part mini, that only #1 through #4 would have action-figure variants? Kinda wrecks my collection if I have four action-figure ones & then some random unmatching cover.
Yep. Better known as "first world problems"
clobberin_time_bs
Contributor

Post by clobberin_time_bs »

My pick this month is Deadpool #13 from Marvel.
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

bralinator wrote:
RowdyFromScrubs wrote:Doesn't that seem a little odd, for a five part mini, that only #1 through #4 would have action-figure variants? Kinda wrecks my collection if I have four action-figure ones & then some random unmatching cover.
Yep. Better known as "first world problems"
Pretty sure everything discussed on the Comic Book Page Forum is considered a "1st world problem". We're not developing an Ebola vaccine here.