DC Rebirth Wondercon Announcement

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

DC Rebirth Wondercon Announcement

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

Who's watching the broadcast this morning?
drew
Master Reviewer

Re: DC Rebirth Wondercon Announcement

Post by drew »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:Who's watching the broadcast this morning?
im waiting on the creative teams announcement
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Most exciting so far - a new All Star Batman with Snyder, Murphy, Jock and JRJR.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

so far its been a super-diverse line up of middle to late aged white guys, some doing multiple books,
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

I'm so frakin glad that Seeley will be on Nightwing and it looks like New Helena lives on in the Batgirl & the Birds of Prey book!!!!!
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

I'm very interested in a lot of these creative teams. The Teen Titans book looks, great. As does the Trinity title.

What's the continuity for Rebirth? Is it all new, pre Flashpoint, Post Flash Point?
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

drew wrote:so far its been a super-diverse line up of middle to late aged white guys, some doing multiple books,
I don't think DC is in a position to worry about diversity; they need to worry about readers and sales.
GABE! wrote:What's the continuity for Rebirth? Is it all new, pre Flashpoint, Post Flash Point?
The simple answer seems to be yes. I'm paraphrasing Jim Lee and Didio but at the beginning of the presentation they said the New52 was part of the overall DC continunity story. I'm hoping the special Rebirth issue clearly explains how it all comes together.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:
drew wrote:so far its been a super-diverse line up of middle to late aged white guys, some doing multiple books,
I don't think DC is in a position to worry about diversity; they need to worry about readers and sales.
[\quote]

And what better way than to trot out the same writers as last time and expect a different result
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

I was a little underwhelmed. Some of the books do look good.

I was wanting to see Mark Waid and Chris Samnee do Superman.

And where is one of the up and coming stars, Tom Taylor? He needs to be a part of this in my opinion.

The other question, where will Hickman fit in? JLA or Legion?
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

drew wrote:
SpideySavestheDay wrote:
[\quote]

And what better way than to trot out the same writers as last time and expect a different result
This is a very valid point but there is diversity in this new line up mixed in with creators who are great.

I liked the creators assembled for the bat-books; it's a nice mix of the familiar (Snyder, King, Seely, etc) with new (Hope Larson & Benson sisters).

Similar with the Superman books. Jurgens idea of a Luther vs. Superman sounds familiar but Gene Luen Yang's New Superman might be that diversity Drew's looking for - A Chinese superman in Shanghai written by a Chinese-American.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

No matter what our opinions are about Rebirth, it's good to discuss DC. It felt like they were starting to become an after thought.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

The only significant attempt at diversity DC's demonstrated lately has been in genre. Still, the tone of each book was indiscernible from the next. Diverse on the outside, but the still boring on the inside.

After seeing the WonderCon announcement of the #Rebirth creative teams, it looks like the writers I like got paired with artists that I don't care for so again, I won't be adding any DC books to my pull-list.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... tive-teams
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

I will sample them all but with a much shorter leash than I gave the new 52 titles
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I'm actually excited, and will come back and try most of these (maybe all), but I'm a DC guy and realize they are just sucking me back in (something that isn't that hard).

As for the announcement panel itself, I have no idea how it came across on the webcast but in the room it felt dead. Having it first thing in the morning before the show even opened, having to get there early on a cold (64 degrees) for LA with light rain morning to get in, it felt extremely dead in the room to me. The rotating panels by family or editorial office or however they did it also seemed to suck some air out of the room. If you were a fan of any creator it was like they were there said hello and gone again in moments. It also felt like the artist who made up half or more of those groups never got to speak. If anyone got to speak it was a writer and even then only when asked a question that Didio or Johns would talk over the answer they tried to give anyway. Maybe it would have been better if it had only been Didio, Lee and Johns because that is what it felt like they wanted and the creators just got dragged up there like models for photo ops but weren't treated like people.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

SpideySavestheDay wrote: that diversity Drew's looking for - A Chinese superman in Shanghai written by a Chinese-American.
I probably used the wrong word, I meant new creators, not the same folks from the last five years, but yeah some super heroes that weren't rich white billionaire geniuses would be nice too

is there a good source yet for all the updated rebirth titles through September with the creative teams?