Vertigo "Restructuring"

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Vertigo "Restructuring"

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

I just hope they finish up Sheriff of Babylon & Lucifer, but honestly I'd only be slightly bummed if those two were just straight-up canceled without finishing. Anyone care or really into Vertigo right now? Is it going away to be replaced by Young Animals imprint?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... -departure

STATEMENT RE VERTIGO RESTRUCTURING - April 2016
· DC Entertainment is reexamining the direction and focus of the Vertigo imprint of comic books and graphic novels. The goal is to keep competitive and stay relevant in the changing marketplace, and to set the business up for future success.

The updated business structure will result for some employees in a change of reporting relationship, new job descriptions, and expanded roles and responsibilities.

Unfortunately, as part of the restructuring, the position of Vice President & Executive Editor has been eliminated. This was a very challenging process, and we made every effort to ensure all decisions were made with great care and consideration.

· We are extremely grateful for Shelly Bond’s commitment and dedication to Vertigo, its books and its incredibly talented team of staff and creators.

· In Vertigo she leaves a legacy to which we remain committed and on which we intend to build for the future. She will always be a deeply valued and respected member of the DC family.

· We have the utmost confidence in the current editorial staff and look forward to the team leaving their mark on the Vertigo line knowing this new alignment creates a stronger organization that is well positioned for maximum potential.
MisterFerro
Contributor

Re: Vertigo "Restructuring"

Post by MisterFerro »

I don't see DC cancelling Sheriff, instead it could have a finite 12 issue run.

Tom King went on a Batman podcast very soon after Wondercon where he talked for a minute about how Sheriff got extended to 12 issues (from 8 issues) and that he is writing the 12th as a finale. He went on to say that he has more story to tell and the book could go for 50-75 issues.

I just looked up when the 1st trade (1-6) is coming out and and it is coming out just 2 months after #6 (#6 out in May, trade in July). Hopefully people who trade-waited will love the book enough to go buy the 2 single issues and get caught up which could lead to #9 seeing a bump in the August charts.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

with greater number of smaller publishers available now with better creator friendly contracts - seems most of the top shelf ideas are going elsewhere

sherriff and unfollow could easily fit as an image, boom, aftershock, other book and not miss a beat

i dont want astro city anywhere else though

hopefully vertigo gets a rebirth too
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

drew wrote:with greater number of smaller publishers available now with better creator friendly contracts - seems most of the top shelf ideas are going elsewhere

sherriff and unfollow could easily fit as an image, boom, aftershock, other book and not miss a beat

i dont want astro city anywhere else though

hopefully vertigo gets a rebirth too
I think that DC must have made Vertigo more creator-friendly recently, why else would the brand new exclusives mention this section:
BURBANK, Calif. (February 18, 2016) – DC Entertainment announced today the signing of writer Tom King and fan favorite artists Clay Mann and John Timms to exclusive deals to produce their comic book work solely for the DC Comics and Vertigo imprints.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

MisterFerro wrote: I think that DC must have made Vertigo more creator-friendly recently, why else would the brand new exclusives mention this section:
BURBANK, Calif. (February 18, 2016) – DC Entertainment announced today the signing of writer Tom King and fan favorite artists Clay Mann and John Timms to exclusive deals to produce their comic book work solely for the DC Comics and Vertigo imprints.
I would guess writing Batman has a LITTLE something to do with it more so than future vertigo books...
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

DC dishes out a new Exclusive contract to Josh Williamson:
BURBANK, Calif. (April 28, 2016) – Fresh off the heels of the DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH event held at WonderCon in Los Angeles in March, DC Entertainment announced today that it has reached an agreement with Joshua Williamson to create comic book content solely for the company’s DC Comics and Vertigo imprints.
Josh said on twitter that Birthright & Nailbiter will continue at Image but I imagine any new creator-owned series will be coming out through Vertigo.

In fact, along with the announcement of this deal comes the announcement of a new Vertigo mini titled Frostbite.

http://www.newsarama.com/29043-rebirth- ... -sept.html
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

DC Comics Signs MITCH GERADS To Exclusive
http://www.newsarama.com/29628-dc-comic ... usive.html
DC Entertainment (DCE) continues to add top-notch talent to its creative roster, announcing today that it has reached an agreement with artist Mitch Gerads to create comic book content solely for its DC and Vertigo imprints. Gerads will continue his incredible work with writer Tom King on Vertigo’s groundbreaking monthly series THE SHERIFF OF BABYLON.