DC Rebirth Retailer Q&A Session - Chicago 4/28

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

erickowabunga
Reviewer

Re: DC Rebirth Retailer Q&A Session - Chicago 4/28

Post by erickowabunga »

drew wrote:a couple follow up ?s:

how many retailers were there?
There were roughly 10-12 unique retailers. Each store was allowed up to 3 people, and Graham Cracker Comics has about a thousand locations (or at least it seems), so there were a good chunk of them. But there were retailers that I talked to from WI, IL, and MN. I would assume there was at least one from IN, but not sure.
drew wrote:did you get a sense how many stops/cities were on the tour?
If I remember right, there were 6 total, and we were #5 along the journey. The 6th and final was in NYC on the 29th, as FOC for DC Rebirth was due that day.
drew wrote:I gotta say I am less jazzed about rebirth now...this whole 'lets go back to a point in time and tell stories like we used to' worries me a bit
It's interesting, we are get mixed reaction from everyone. Some are very much looking forward to taking a step back and regaining the comfort. Some people are getting burnt out on the same creators.

For everyone else - we are going to put up an uncut full recording for everyone to listen to in the next few days. We wanted to give our impressions on our podcast first, before we provide the audio to everyone.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

Abhay at the Savage Critic lays out a very scholarly indictment against Didio - http://www.savagecritic.com/retailing/t ... dan-didio/. I do not agree with every piece of evidence put forth. However I think this is food for thought heading into Rebirth.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

For those itching to hear the full audio from the event, as Rebirth comes out tomorrow we went ahead and put the whole Chicago recording out as an episode of KowCast!

Please note that Jim Lee was fighting a bit of a head cold, and is softer spoken, so some of his talking with the room acoustics take a bit of listening.

You can find is on iTunes, Stitcher, or directly at the page: http://kowabungacomics.com/podcast/
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

that is pretty cool, i think i prefer your and James hot take on the proceedings
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

drew wrote:that is pretty cool, i think i prefer your and James hot take on the proceedings
Thanks, Drew! Body language can do a lot, as well as the social hour afterwards, talking with everyone was great and gave us more insight. Remember this happened shortly after the whole Eddie Berganza item happened. One of the folks we talked to after the discussion is a higher ranking DC exec, who has been with them for almost 10 years. I point blank asked her if she felt that being a woman in the comics industry has ever been an issue regarding respect, career growth, etc. Her answer "Never. No. It has been the greatest job I have ever had." I wish I would have had the brains to record that part of it. You could tell she meant it.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

compsolut wrote:
drew wrote:that is pretty cool, i think i prefer your and James hot take on the proceedings
Thanks, Drew! Body language can do a lot, as well as the social hour afterwards, talking with everyone was great and gave us more insight. Remember this happened shortly after the whole Eddie Berganza item happened. One of the folks we talked to after the discussion is a higher ranking DC exec, who has been with them for almost 10 years. I point blank asked her if she felt that being a woman in the comics industry has ever been an issue regarding respect, career growth, etc. Her answer "Never. No. It has been the greatest job I have ever had." I wish I would have had the brains to record that part of it. You could tell she meant it.
i missed that - good article at CBR - http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... ome-public

I especially liked the shots fired by Jen Guzman at Image
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

Some news coming out from the Retailers summit in Baltimore:
  • Justice League vs. Suicide Squad 6 issue mini coming December/January
  • Josh Williamson is writing with Jason Fabok and Tony Daniel on art
  • Tie-ins include Suicide Squad #9 and #10 along with Justice League #12 and #13
  • JLA spins out of mini in February, written by Steve Orlando
  • "Quarterly" events are planned for 2017
Non-rebirth news, Amanda Conner and Jimmy P. are doing The Jetsons for DC's new re-imagining Hanna-Barbera line.

http://www.newsarama.com/30890-rebirth- ... title.html
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

DC Drops JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD Price
DC Comics have informed retailers that the upcoming event title Justice League vs. Suicide Squad is being reduced in price, going from $4.99 U.S. to $3.99 U.S. - despite no change in the solicited page count of 40. No reason was given for this change.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

I love what DC is doing.