DC Rebirth Retailer Q&A Session - Chicago 4/28

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

erickowabunga
Reviewer

DC Rebirth Retailer Q&A Session - Chicago 4/28

Post by erickowabunga »

Hi All - I will be heading down to the retailer Q&A session for retailers, taking place in Chicago on Thursday, April 28th. This is an event that is being put on by DC specifically for retailers to ask questions. The DC representatives that are slated to be there are Jim Lee and Dan DiDio. I have a number of questions in my own head that I plan to ask, but thought I would open it up to you all, if there are any questions you may have.
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Re: DC Rebirth Retailer Q&A Session - Chicago 4/28

Post by MrAloha »

Dear Eric,

Please let us know how the Q&A Session went.

Aloha!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

i would be interested to know if there are phase 2 and 3, etc... of rebirths planned beyond the the announcements we know?

Will all future main universe titles begin with a rebirth issue prior to a #1?

Will DC bring back the September Event with Zero issues, 3d covers and something new?

How does the Vertigo restructure affect the imprint going forward?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Are there any plans for new and original characters? Or is DC's plan to continually "rebirth" existing characters?
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

Hey All! The event was a bit of a marathon with Jim and Dan standing up and talking with us for a little over 2 hours. We got a lot of great information, and there was one common theme throughout " DC has lost it's way, and we need to get it back." Dan talked about how the history isn't being drawn from, the stories have minimized what people have come to know and love about DC, creative directions have been all over, and that at the end of the day, they are feeling a sense of urgency to become relevant again.

As far as the questions below, I will attempt to answer them as best I can :)

1) Are there going to be new characters/rogues? Yes! There will be new rogues galleries for a couple of characters, Cyborg being one of them, and there will be new heroes, or new adaptations of them.

2) Are there rebirths planned beyond what we know? No - the Rebirth that starts in May with the 80 page Rebirth kicks off the staggered rebirths through the month of September. There will not be any more rebooting/launching/birthing. The plan is to stay the course. The reason for the staggered release is that as fallout from one book, another starts. This is not to be considered a crossover, or event, but rather the start of a journey. I did ask about getting people onto books as new readers, to which I was told that at the start of each arc, there would be an introduction page or two to facilitate someone jumping on.

3) Will all future titles start with a Rebirth #1? No, only the ones that have been shared are slated for Rebirth #1 issues.

4) September event, 0 issue, lenticular covers, etc.? Nothing in the works, just good old fashioned storytelling.

5) How does the Vertigo restructure affect Rebirth? Nada. It does not have any effect at all, and there was not much time spent on Vertigo at the event.

My co-owner and I will be going over the event next week on our new podcast (KowCast on iTunes).
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

compsolut wrote:My co-owner and I will be going over the event next week on our new podcast (KowCast on iTunes).
uh oh now you got the bug, eh? I just subscribed, you guys will be great
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

compsolut wrote:My co-owner and I will be going over the event next week on our new podcast (KowCast on iTunes).
Dear Eric,

Thank you for the DC Rebirth info. It must have been cool listening to Jim Lee and Dan Didio.

Have fun with your guys podcast. Like Drew, I just downloaded the first two episodes. I hope you guys do a taping of this year's The World's Smallest Comic Con (Kowabunga's in-store comic convention).

And I'll spread the word in Hawaii about your guys podcast.

I wish you guys all the best!

Aloha!
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I've just added the KowCast to my podcatcher.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

compsolut wrote:I did ask about getting people onto books as new readers, to which I was told that at the start of each arc, there would be an introduction page or two to facilitate someone jumping on.
DC needed a recap page desperately. Picking up any of their comics required reading the previous issue to remember why the story had progressed to that point. Marvel and Valiant do an excellent job with theirs.

Thanks for the info.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

Thanks all for the kind words about the new podcast. We will be doing a recap episode (recording Tuesday) from the event, and I will post here when it is out!

There were many other areas that Dan and Jim talked to - but above all of that, they were great guys. Being able to talk to them on a deeper level than comics was a treat, and many of the interactions we had with other DC staff were nothing short of fantastic.
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

compsolut wrote:Thanks all for the kind words about the new podcast. We will be doing a recap episode (recording Tuesday) from the event, and I will post here when it is out!

There were many other areas that Dan and Jim talked to - but above all of that, they were great guys. Being able to talk to them on a deeper level than comics was a treat, and many of the interactions we had with other DC staff were nothing short of fantastic.
Dear Eric,
That's cool you guys had a great experience with Dan, Jim, and the DC staff.

I look forward to hearing KowCast recap on the DC Rebirth Q&A session.

Aloha!
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

[quote="MrAloha"]
I look forward to hearing KowCast recap on the DC Rebirth Q&A session.
/quote]

It's live! For anyone looking to check out our takeaway from the Rebirth Retailer summit, and hear some audio from Jim Lee and Dan DiDio, feel free to check out KowCast Ep. 3 on iTunes, or directly here: http://kowabungacomics.com/Audio/KowCast3-Rebirth.mp3
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

compsolut wrote:
MrAloha wrote: I look forward to hearing KowCast recap on the DC Rebirth Q&A session.
It's live! For anyone looking to check out our takeaway from the Rebirth Retailer summit, and hear some audio from Jim Lee and Dan DiDio, feel free to check out KowCast Ep. 3 on iTunes, or directly here: http://kowabungacomics.com/Audio/KowCast3-Rebirth.mp3
Cool. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys thought of the presentation. I really enjoyed the first two episodes of you podcast. Keep up the great work!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

compsolut wrote:
MrAloha wrote: I look forward to hearing KowCast recap on the DC Rebirth Q&A session.
/quote]

great episode, thanks for a peek behind the curtain that most of us non retailers will never get
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

a couple follow up ?s:

how many retailers were there?
did you get a sense how many stops/cities were on the tour?

I gotta say I am less jazzed about rebirth now...this whole 'lets go back to a point in time and tell stories like we used to' worries me a bit

still going to read them all but a little more cautiously optimistic