Previews Spotlight #104 (Jun->Aug) Deadline: Sat AM, Jun 4

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #104 (Jun->Aug) Deadline: Sat AM, Jun 4

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, May 25th. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, June 4th.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread with the full title, issue number and publisher. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

The Previews Spotlight is released as a mono podcast, not stereo. If you record in stereo, I'll convert it to a mono record by dropping one of the tracks.

The Comic Book Page podcast is an all-ages podcast and is profanity free. I will have to edit out any profanity in the clips, including any unfortunately named comic book titles. If that section of the clip can't be easily removed I will have to replace the profanity with the DTMF tones for "profanity". In addition to this being my personal stand on profanity, it is also an iTunes policy: If your audio includes explicit language, we require you to set the explicit tag- regardless of why it is spoken (title of comic, name of street, etc.)

Please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3.

p###: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
Note that the "p" is lowercase. I use the name of the clip to sort the tracks in Audacity and it sorts all of lowercase letters before any of the uppercase letters. Obviously, I can fix this part of the filename if needed. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just use "p000-" instead and I'll look it up. Just use "p000-" for this part of the filename. If it is something not in Previews, use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.
M###: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews. If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

I've got some automation around the episode assembly process which uses the dashes to parse the filenames. Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

The episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel. First Comics News is also a great source for the online solicitations.

If you see online solicitations for any of the publishers that aren't linked to here in the thread, please post the link.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #104 (Jun->Aug) Deadline: Sat AM, Jun

Post by MrAloha »

UPDATED: 5/17/16

Dear gang,

Here are the August solicitations:

BOOM! Studios: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... ugust-2016

DC Comics: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... icitations

or from http://www.firstcomicsnews.com:
DC Comics: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=213276

Dark Horse: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=212367

Image Comics: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... illed-more

Oni Press: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... -and-morty

Here are my submissions so far:
1) Dark Horse: Leaving Megalopolis Volume 2: Surviving Megalopolis HC
Gail Simone (W) and J. Calafiore (A)

2) DC Comics: Deathstroke #1
Christopher Priest (W) and Carlo Pagulayan and Jason Paz (A/C)
(I'll be recording this clip at Dragon's Lair in Hawaii)

3) IDW: Star Trek #60
Mike Johnson (W) and Tony Shasteen (A & C)

4) Image Comics: Papergirls #8
Brian K. Vaughan (W) and Cliff Chiang & Matt Wilson
(I'll be recording this clip at Dragon's Lair in Hawaii)

5) Marvel: Civil War II #5IVIL WAR II #5 (OF 7)
Brian Michael Bendis (W) and David Marquez (A)
(I'll be recording this clip at Dragon's Lair in Hawaii.)

6) Marvel: Vote Loki #3
Christopher Hastings (W) and Langdon Foss (A)

7) Shoutout clip

If there are more August solicits, please post them on the forum.

Aloha!
Last edited by MrAloha on Thu May 26, 2016 4:40 am, edited 7 times in total.
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

Dear Gang,

I just posted the DC solicits for August and I wanted to point out this cool Elseworld mini series that is finally getting the hardcover treatment. It is:

JSA: THE GOLDEN AGE DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by James Robinson
Art and cover by Paul Smith

I'm not doing a clip on this.

If I remember correctly, when it came out, it got good reviews. I picked up the trade paperback a few years ago. And it is still buried in my reading stack of trades. As Bralinator said, "First world problems."

I hope everyone finds something to do clips on.

Aloha!
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

MrAloha wrote:Dear Gang,

I just posted the DC solicits for August and I wanted to point out this cool Elseworld mini series that is finally getting the hardcover treatment. It is:

JSA: THE GOLDEN AGE DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by James Robinson
Art and cover by Paul Smith

I'm not doing a clip on this.

If I remember correctly, when it came out, it got good reviews. I picked up the trade paperback a few years ago. And it is still buried in my reading stack of trades. As Bralinator said, "First world problems."

I hope everyone finds something to do clips on.

Aloha!
Hi Mr. Aloha,

I was a huge fan of James Robinson's Starman and JSA work. I picked this up when it originally came out in prestige format; I also own a copy of the trade when it was just called the Golden Age. This is some of the best stuff (IMO) that DC put out during the 1990s, to include Vertigo.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

My picks for the episode

DC Comics:
Superwoman #1
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #1
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

My picks* this month:

Aftershock
The Animosity #1

BOOM! Studios
Jim Henson’s Labyrinth: 30th Anniversary #1

Dark Horse
The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story Expanded Edition tpb

DC
Superman: American Alien HC

Lake of Fire #1
The Fix tpb

Dynamite
Battlestar Galactic (Classic) #1

Valiant
Generation Zero #1

* subject to change without notice
Last edited by bralinator on Sun May 22, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

A couple of new solicit links that slipped under my radar

Heavy Metal Comics

Joe Books, Ltd
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

I won't be able to do a clip or anything, but a book I wanted to point out.

Peanuts Friends Forever 2016 Special #1

From Boom! Studios

This is the final Peanuts book that Boom! is publishing. I thought it should get at least a mention on the forums.

Thanks guys.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Perseus wrote:I won't be able to do a clip or anything, but a book I wanted to point out.
voice recorder on your phone works just as well as anything - doesn't have to be a long clip but as a listener I love the different voices promoting their favorite comics - no pressure, you might just be too busy - I am just offering encouragement
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

drew wrote:
Perseus wrote:I won't be able to do a clip or anything, but a book I wanted to point out.
voice recorder on your phone works just as well as anything - doesn't have to be a long clip but as a listener I love the different voices promoting their favorite comics - no pressure, you might just be too busy - I am just offering encouragement
Dear Perseus,

I'm with Drew offering encouragement. It's cool to hear new voices on the episodes.

I'm not trying to pressure you. I just want to share my experience and a couple of benefits of submitting a clip. (Please note that my experience and results will be different than yours.)

Every since I started listening to Previews Spotlight Episodes, I think, five years ago, I wanted to submit a clip.
When I recorded my first clip, I was nervous because I wanted to sound like I knew what I was talking about. And to over come that fear, I did some planning; such as, not only did I read the solicit, I wrote down what I like about the comic book series.

And now (I use the voice recorder on my phone), I'm having fun making clips and it helped deepen my love for comics. And it helped bring in, at least, a couple new customers (listeners of the podcast) to my LCS (Dragon's Lair in Hawaii).

Perseus, when your ready to send in a clip, just go for it.

Aloha!
Joe3c
Fan

Post by Joe3c »

My picks:
Dark Horse
Lady Killer 2 #1
World of Tanks #1
HALO: Tales from Slipspace
I am a Hero #2

IDW
Star Trek#60

Archie
Jughead #9

Books
The Fifty Year Mission Volume 2

Apparel
Jonah Hex T-Shirt

Cheers!
Last edited by Joe3c on Sun May 29, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thedoh
Contributor

Post by Thedoh »

Hi. I would like to submit clips for:

Battlepug Volume 5
The Autumnlands #14
Marvel Tsum Tsum #1
Rachel Rising Omnibus
Back Issue #92

Thanks! -TODD
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are the ComicBookPage picks of the month:

DARK HORSE
-KINGSWAY WEST #1 (OF 4)
DC
-SUPERGIRL: REBIRTH #1
IDW
-ATOMIC ROBO AND THE TEMPLE OF OD #1 (OF 5)
-EDEN’S FALL #1
MARVEL
-AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #8
OTHER
ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS
-JUGHEAD #9
BOOM! STUDIOS
-MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS 2016 ANNUAL #1
TITAN COMICS
-MYCROFT HOLMES: THE APOCALYPSE HANDBOOK #1
VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT
-GENERATION ZERO #1
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

I'm still going through this months Previews. But there are a lot of cool "other" comic merchandise like socks, shirts, and that Batman Animated Series statue.

and this round of Rebirth titles are starting to fall lower on my level of interest.