Vader Done at #25

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Vader Done at #25

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

Wow can't believe Darth Vader is call it quits with #25. Seems weird for a top ten book to get canned like that.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... es-with-25
drew
Master Reviewer

Re: Vader Done at #25

Post by drew »

that's a surprise to me, that is my favorite of the star wars titles

don't care what marvel/CBR says I doubt Poe Dameron is an "ongoing", lets see where issue 4 sales are and then we'll see if its really an ongoing
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

I'm sure there will be a new Darth Vader #1 announced soon enough.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote:Wow can't believe Darth Vader is call it quits with #25. Seems weird for a top ten book to get canned like that.

The term "getting canned" has a negative slant to it. Clearly this isn't a case of a title ending because of sales. Marvel didn't seem to fire the creative team and kill the title. It seems like the creative team was done telling the stories they had to tell.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Pure speculation, of course, but I am wondering if this could be coming down from Disney/Lucasfilm. I understand Darth Vader is appearing in the next Star Wars movie, Rogue One, and is it possible the powers-that-be have some things in mind for the Sith Lord that they don't want any conflicts with the comic series getting in the way?

I know, it's a stretch.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

JohnMayo wrote:
RowdyFromScrubs wrote:Wow can't believe Darth Vader is call it quits with #25. Seems weird for a top ten book to get canned like that.

The term "getting canned" has a negative slant to it. Clearly this isn't a case of a title ending because of sales. Marvel didn't seem to fire the creative team and kill the title. It seems like the creative team was done telling the stories they had to tell.
if dan slott finishes telling the story he has to tell, Marvel will continue telling Spider-man stories though, so i don't buy that
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

drew wrote:
JohnMayo wrote:
if dan slott finishes telling the story he has to tell, Marvel will continue telling Spider-man stories though, so i don't buy that
I didn't mean to disparage the creative team at all. I enjoy the book. But just because a team is done with their stories doesn't mean the title needs to be shelved or re-numbered.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I think there is a huge difference between a creative team saying they are done telling the tales they had to tell and a publisher ending a title because of low sales. The Darth Vader title is clearly not ending due to low sales.

I agree that if this creative team is done telling Darth Vader stories there is no reason another creative team couldn't take over the title. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the way things work these days. It wouldn't be the first time Marvel has relaunched a title because of a creative team change.

Maybe Marvel will relaunch they title, maybe they won't. Maybe Marvel will tell more Darth Vader stories, maybe they won't.

Maybe they just want to have Darth Vader more available for the main Star Wars title.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive