DC Universe Rebirth #1 / Rebirth Titles Reaction (spoilers)

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

DC Universe Rebirth #1 / Rebirth Titles Reaction (spoilers)

Post by drew »

thought i would make a thread to capture our initial reactions to the 80 page DC Rebirth Issue, is the title enough warning or should we include spoiler tags throughout??

DC UNIVERSE REBIRTH #1
Publisher: DC COMICS
(W) Geoff Johns (A) Gary Frank & Various (CA) Gary Frank

It all begins here. Do not skip to the last page. Do not let a friend or message board ruin this comic for you. The future (and past) of the DC Universe starts here. Don't say we didn't warn you!

THEY SAID IT: "Rebirth is about focusing in on the core of the character and their respective universe," says writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns. "It brings back what has been lost, the legacy of the characters, the love and the hope of the DCU!"
Last edited by drew on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Re: DC Universe Rebirth #1 Reaction (spoilers below)

Post by erickowabunga »

Being a retailer, I was able to get my copy to read yesterday. I read it last night before going to bed, and read it again this morning. I plan to read it again when I get home. I want to know what everyone thinks. I have my thoughts :)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Ok, if I have any spoilers I will use the spoiler tag just to be extra courteous and make sure there are no mistakes.

Since no one wants to go first, I will start this mess.

Overall I neither overwhelmingly liked or disliked DC Rebirth. My grade is solidly a C+ this somewhere between a zero and a non-issue. I might even be generous calling it solidly average.

Big Pro: The art is spectacular!
Big Con: nothing happened!
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Essentially I think we are being told we are going back to end of Flashpoint and being told we will start over from there with everyone having full memories of it all
For those that miss the pre New 52 universe, I think we are getting back (good?). For those that felt the weight of continuity necessitated the New 52 we are back to that point (bad?). For those that love the history of the DCU it is all back, I think (good?). For those that feel like they need a Phd. in comics and a photographic memory of every issue ever printed to read the new comics on the stand, I think that is back too (bad?).

I think this issue was essentially a giant "we are sorry for the new 52, please come back". What it unfortunately didn't do was invite all the fans that left before that creating the need for the New 52 a reason to come back.

You can clearly replace the goods and bad I labeled those statements with from your own perspective. I don't know if it is the ODC nature of many of us comic fans but we have a weird relationship with continuity. I think no history and stories not mattering is bad. I think most characters having a history and growth is good. I think needing to know every minor background squiggle in every panel of every comic ever published is bad. Seemingly the publishers (especially DC) can't find that middle ground, it is all the way at one extreme or all the way at the other.

Right now I'm still in for next week. However knowing this is suppose to be a two-year story arc (ridiculous) at the first sign of tedium and getting wrapped too deep in the minutia of continuity I'm out.
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

Wow, didn't see that coming! Really excited to see were this goes. Hopefully it doesn't slow play out over years. **edit: oh, apparently this is going to take years....grrr**
Tons of questions:
-I didn't read Before Watchmen were there any hints?
-Is this taking place before Watchmen(1986)?
-Are there three Jokers because this is Vol. 3 of Batman?
-Is that an old Billy/Shazam/Capt Marvel?
-What is the ring in the evidence bag around page 8? (guessing I just don't know the reference)
-Who made Damian's birthday cake, then apparently left?...that's just a jerk move
-Did, who I'm assuming is, Dr Manhattan murder Pandora? Where are Phantom Stranger & Spectre?
-I'm assuming Wonder Woman's brother, Jason, is a new character or am I missing a older reference?
-Why/how is the button in the Batcave?
-If I'm John Q. Public working my 9-to-5 at Queen Industries...do I know time got reset?
But with that being said...this got me re-energized about DC. I hope they just follow up on it because, to me, they never followed up on the whole Pandora angle in the formation of the New52. I'd give it about an 11 out of 13.75
Last edited by RowdyFromScrubs on Wed May 25, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

fudd71 wrote:Right now I'm still in for next week. However knowing this is suppose to be a two-year story arc (ridiculous) at the first sign of tedium and getting wrapped too deep in the minutia of continuity I'm out.
As somebody who pretty much only read Knightfall & Death of Superman/Funeral for a Friend then was out until the start of the New52...I'd hate to get to continuity heavy also. Unless you give me footnotes in the story & then on the last page explain what the references are to & why they're important. If they're stringing this out over 2 years (that's 48 issues of twice-a-month books) they better have a plan & not expect us to just buy filler. I wonder what the major plot book would be? I'm never going to pick-up the entire DC catalog just because they put a plot page in the back of every book.

I liked it a little more than you, fudd71, but I didn't go through any of the Crisis on...blab blab blab or Flashpoint events in real time either.
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

compsolut wrote:Being a retailer, I was able to get my copy to read yesterday. I read it last night before going to bed, and read it again this morning. I plan to read it again when I get home. I want to know what everyone thinks. I have my thoughts :)
How many did you order for your shop? &/or what rough percentage did get compared to Batman....if exact numbers is a little "too inside info" than you're comfortable sharing.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote: I liked it a little more than you, fudd71, but I didn't go through any of the Crisis on...blab blab blab or Flashpoint events in real time either.
Maybe my review came off as harsh, I really didn't hate it, I just didn't really like it either. I just feel for an 80 page book it could have told what it told (not all the scenes but the main theme) in 12 pages. I'm still cautiously optimistic, just more cautious and less optimistic then I was yesterday.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

compsolut wrote:Being a retailer, I was able to get my copy to read yesterday. I read it last night before going to bed, and read it again this morning. I plan to read it again when I get home. I want to know what everyone thinks. I have my thoughts :)
Just read it once but i can see why multiple reads would be warranted

seems like i liked it more than a lot of you so far

so much fan service - runs the gamut from John's favorite
legion of superheroes and justice society
to my beloved
watchmen
with something for everybody presumably

my one complaint - i ran to my LCS at lunch yesterday to by an additional copy so i wouldnt have to wait until my shipment arrived, rushed home and curled up to discover on the first page into the story -
dont read this until you read Superman 52 and Justice League 50, which just came out!!! if it was that important shouldnt they have released last week, cmon DC!
overall the comic was
one big apology to comic readers for the New52; our narrator kept asking who has stolen 10 years and all the great relationships that came before, who could it have been-oh maybe the current DC leadership
many fun reveals throughout including:
3 jokers, that should be fun for tom king to play with
a superman is dead - those of us reading final days know this is coming but will be fun to see how they bring him back, inevitably
Dr. manhattan destroyed pandora and reset the universe to pre new52, i think
Watchmen universe now firmly part of the current DCU
appearances by wally west, blue beetle, justice society, legion, aqualad, atom, more??
My Grade will have to wait until the official Weekly Comic Spotlight Review - Even with my one complaint - i was riveted to every page, anticipating each revelation and page turn, cant wait to see whats next, mission accomplished DC
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

drew wrote:
My Grade will have to wait until the official Weekly Comic Spotlight Review - Even with my one complaint - i was riveted to every page, anticipating each revelation and page turn, cant wait to see whats next, mission accomplished DC
No, this is still Nu52 continuity as evidence of Bats still having the letter that Thomas wrote to him. DC is saying that Dr. Man stole time and legacy from the superheroes to weaken them.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

MisterFerro wrote:
No, this is still Nu52 continuity as evidence of Bats still having the letter that Thomas wrote to him. DC is saying that Dr. Man stole time and legacy from the superheroes to weaken them.
This is also how I read it.

Minor nitpick but something I find to be an interesting choice
there are essentially three groups of pages (or scenes) that deal specifically with the Dr. Manhattan part of this.

The first 3 pages
that go 9 panel grid, 4 panel grid, 2 panel (evenly split top to bottom page)

The 4 page right before the epilogue, that end with Chapter 4: Life
that go 2 panel (evenly split top to bottom page), 4 panel grid, 9panel grid splash page

The epilogue
that goes splash page, 4 panel grid, 9 panel grid, 4 panel grid, two page splash credits page.

Since in seems Gary Frank did these pages, and clearly the layouts as an homage to Dave Gibbons' 9 panel grid style from the Watchmen, I kind of wish they had either done all 9 panel grid or instead of all the 4 panel grid at least simply merged a few of the panes of the 9 panel grid layout the way Gibbons did.

I know very minor nitpick.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

MisterFerro wrote:
drew wrote:
okay, not sure DC can have their cake and eat it too but we'll see how it plays out - i wouldnt bet the mortage on my interpretation of an 80 page comic read right before bed

i think i need another read through like compsulot
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote:
How many did you order for your shop? &/or what rough percentage did get compared to Batman....if exact numbers is a little "too inside info" than you're comfortable sharing.
So there was a lot to take into account for this book. It is the only Rebirth book that is not returnable. We were also told all first prints would be $2.99, and any second+ prints would be $5.99. We ordered cautiously aggressive (does that make sense?). We ordered one for every subscriber that gets a DC title, plus 50%. We know that this book will be the cornerstone of the DCU for at least the foreseeable future, so if we have extra copies, we aren't afraid. However we did not go crazy in ordering. For Batman, we ordered a lot more than we were New 52. We are a small shop. We ordered more Batman #1 (fully returnable) than Rebirth - I don't have the numbers right in front of me, but we did not go light, as it is returnable.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

I've only read it once, but it took me about 3 sittings to get through it because life has been busy.

But with that said, I did enjoy it as a starting point into the new "reboot/reset" of the DCU. My DC history outside of Batman is very lacking, even with the New 52 I feel off after a year or so. Which make a lot of what happened in here a little over my head, but in a good way. I'm very curious about a lot of what is being show here and what was not show here that I will want to go back in the DC library and do some research over time.

Questions: SPOILERS!!
1.) How does the Watchmen button get into the walls of the Batcave still covered it blood? It was last seen being buried with the Comedian. and how did Batman know to look for it?
2.) What/where has Wally been this whole time?
3.) The Thomas Wayne letter. Has it alway been stored under glass in the Batcave? I do not remember ever seeing it after Flashpoint. Also, if Flash gave that letter to Bruce at the end of Flashpoint, why did Bruce and Barry not know each other at the start of the New 52 Justice League?
4.)Anyone else on the forums like Oreos? I love them
5.)Dr. Oz? Superman not the real Superman?
6.) 3 Jokers or as John and I think. 3 names for the Joker?
7.) Who killed Pandora and why? After thinking about her death scene I'm presuming it was Dr. Manhattan. The way she was killed was very similar to how Rorschach died. But why?
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

I finally read this book.

It's fantastic. I truly loved it. And I also got choked up a few times.

I'm not gonna say much, but the art was astonishing. And I loved seeing the characters we saw in this.

My favorite DC issue in a long time. I am going to re-read this a few times I believe.

It's a nice commentary on the current state of things.
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

Read the book twice and Im still a DC skeptic :-)

Its certainly not for a newish reader of DC, and its really dismissive of the new 52 imo.
killing off Pandora, did she even do anything? killing off nu52 superman, now there´s two wally west´s
Still its a nice book even if I had little or no knowledge of the different characters popping in and out for a panel. The rest of the books wont be written by Johns though so...

would have liked some clarification on:
where will the legion turn up, superman? in which Batman comic will we get the button investigation? are they going to chase after dr blue and mr oz sporadically in each of the new titles?
It ended with a lot of open questions and we have no real idea where they will follow up on them. Its one thing to say continue and read this title for the rest of the (apparently 2-year) story, its quite another to expect readers to follow All titles to get the whole jig-saw puzzle...

With several twice-monthly titles I hope they can keep (most) storys contained to one title.

Pulling: Titans, Green Lanterns, Nightwing, Detective Comics, Wonder Woman, Justice League and All-Star Batman