DC Universe Rebirth #1 / Rebirth Titles Reaction (spoilers)

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Re: DC Universe Rebirth #1 Reaction (spoilers below)

Post by drew »

GABE! wrote: 4.)Anyone else on the forums like Oreos? I love them
Yes - must be dunked in milk whole like a gentleman / not torn in half like some kind of savage :)

and they just came out with Reese Peanut butter oreos and I cant wait to get my mouth on them: http://www.today.com/food/reeses-peanut ... 2D79727107
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Now that the first week of Rebirth number ones is out, any opinions?

I have only read Batman and Superman so far, will read Green Arrow and Green Lantern tonight I hope.

Batman Rebirth
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
We have 4 Robins already (plus Stephanie Brown, Carrie Kelley & Bluebird) that wasn't enough? Seriously, I think maybe DC has learned nothing about there ills. The lack of fifth (eighth?maybe???) not-Robin was not DC's major problem! Needless to say I wasn't a huge fan of this book.
Superman
I actually really enjoyed this issue a lot. It is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. I loved the look back at life and death of the Superman I grew up on. I'm excited to see where this goes and if the New52 Superman returns, is replaced with the post crisis Superman, or something else entirely. As long as they figure that out quickly and get to Superman being Superman quickly, I'm very optimistic.
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

fudd71 wrote:Now that the first week of Rebirth number ones is out, any opinions?
Batman is like "C" for me. The whole Bruce doing pull-ups off the side of the heli-pad was ridiculous. Out of all of the super-heroes Bruce is generally portrayed as the most private. In today's day in age, a shirtless CEO of a major company, in one of the largest cities, hanging off a heli-pad would instantly make the news.
Duke joining the Bat-Family is equally as bad. The Bat-Family probably has more members now than the Justice League...Robin(Damian), Nightwing(Dick), Red Robin(Tim), Red Hood(Jason), Batgirl(Babs), Spoiler(Stephanie Brown), Bluebird(Harper) & whoever Duke is going to be…and that is just off the top of head, I’m sure I missed a couple.

Green Arrow was really good. I wasn't reading it before, but this really explained what & who this character is going to be moving forward. Exactly what a one-shot should do. This is getting put on the pull list.
Last edited by RowdyFromScrubs on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote:
The whole Bruce doing pull-ups off the side of the heli-pad was ridiculous. Out of all of the super-heroes Bruce is generally portrayed as the most private. In today's day in age, a shirtless CEO of a major company, in one of the largest cities, hanging off a heli-pad would instantly make the news.
I tend to agree very much with this point. I was just so bothered by the other thing I forgot how ridiculous this scene was as well.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Green Arrow rebirth, I enjoyed it quite a bit.
setting up the relationship between Ollie and Dinah once again could be interesting, I thought both the dialogue and art on that part of the story was outstanding
Green Lantern Rebirth was okay and interesting but I continue to question why we need more Earth lanterns especially at the expense of the already established ones. If you want to grow the number of Earth lanterns fine, but it you have nothing for John Stewart, Guy Garnder & Kyle Rayner adding more is certainly not going to fix the problem. As usual the Ethan Van Sciver pages are just stunting.

general thoughts on rebirth so far.
I enjoyed the books that set up the new/current versions of "classic" characters (Green Arrow & Superman) while I generally disliked the books that tried to cram a unnecessary new version of a character we already have arguably too many of (Duke, Baz & Jessica) into this world.
What was the point of DC Universe Rebirth #1 last week? Not one of these Rebirth books has even mentioned the big reveal in that book and only Superman Rebirth even tangentially dealt with any part of it. What was the point of the one shot and rebranding everything "Rebirth" when even the first crop of books from the first week have nothing to do with Rebirth? I can't even begin to image how not related Rebirth titles coming out in August and September will be.
tehkeizer
Contributor

Post by tehkeizer »

disclaimer: I am pretty easy to please.

I thought the Rebirth opening book was a good introduction. It hopped around just enough without getting garbled. the end twist was on par with the end of the 6th sense, out of nowhere. It has the potential to be amazing, but has the potential to be doggy poop. I like the idea of instead of a reboot, they're working towards a deboot, and having a solid explanation to why.

The whole rebirth is an event that is bringing me to DC, as i usually do not read much DC.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

I like them:

Batman Rebirth -
thought the whole issue was pretty good, i really liked Duke joining the team, although in a different way than previous robins
Green Arrow -
this is a much better black canary than the bayside rocker in my opinion, i liked their chemistry
Superman -
didnt expect new/old Supe & Lana to try to bring him back to life, that was a surprise
Green Lantern - TBD
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

fudd71 wrote:What was the point of DC Universe Rebirth #1 last week? Not one of these Rebirth books has even mentioned the big reveal in that book and only Superman Rebirth even tangentially dealt with any part of it. What was the point of the one shot and rebranding everything "Rebirth" when even the first crop of books from the first week have nothing to do with Rebirth? I can't even begin to image how not related Rebirth titles coming out in August and September will be.
i am assuming the new number ones in each ongoing series will continue the thread(s) set up in Universe Rebirth with each individual titles rebirth setting its specific status quo...but i could be wrong...now that you mention it it does seem like a missed opportunity
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

drew wrote:I like them:

Batman Rebirth -
thought the whole issue was pretty good, i really liked Duke joining the team, although in a different way than previous robins
Green Arrow -
this is a much better black canary than the bayside rocker in my opinion, i liked their chemistry
Superman -
didnt expect new/old Supe & Lana to try to bring him back to life, that was a surprise
Green Lantern -
I liked this one too, had no understanding of those lanterns but thought they did a good job on the first issue
cant wait to read this weeks batch of titles