ANAD Marvel already done in?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

MisterFerro
Contributor

ANAD Marvel already done in?

Post by MisterFerro »

There is a new teaser for Marvel NOW! Fall 2016 in the back of what is Marvel's free "Civil War II Daily Bugle Newspaper" one-shot.

We all know that ANAD sells are tanking so I wouldn't be surprised one bit that Marvel may relaunch come fall.
MisterFerro
Contributor

Re: ANAD Marvel already done in?

Post by MisterFerro »

And here is the accompanying article:
'http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... vil-war-ii

"All of this grows out of our larger philosophy that the comic industry is moving into a seasonal model, that isn't too unlike what you see with your favorite binge-worthy TV shows,"

"Every year or so, you offer a new story or direction that provides an accessible entry point to new readers that builds on the experience you've been providing current readers. Sometimes that change is subtle; sometimes that change is seismic -- depends on the character or where the story is going. Each year or so of publishing provides a wild ride that offers some sense of completion, but, of course, doesn't finish the story. That's where the next 'season' picks up."

Insert Oprah"You get a new #1, You get a new #1, Everyone gets a new #1!!!" meme here.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

SPOILER ALERT

I am definitely repulsed by what Tom Breevort and Nick Spencer have decided to do to Captain America, one of my favorite characters, just for some good old fashioned shock value they've decided to scrap the idea that the character was created for (by two Jewish men during WW2 no less). Now Cap never hated Nazis because is IS ONE.

So before you read Captain America #1, it will help to forget that this scrawny kid named Steve Rogers, joined the Army, fought Nazis, turned down being the President, killed Red Skull 9 times, and spent 20 years in Dimension Z fighting Zola's Hydra-based creations, because... As with most things Marvel these days, it seems to be for the shock factor.
NICK SPENCER:Issue 2 will lay a lot of our cards on the table in terms of what the new status quo is, but the one thing we can say unequivocally is: This is not a clone, not an imposter, not mind control, not someone else acting through Steve. This really is Steve Rogers, Captain America himself.

Tom Breevort "His mission is to further the goals and beliefs of Hydra, and if that involves taking down the Marvel universe, then sure. It’s not like he’s exchanged his white hat for a black hat — it’s a green hat. We knew it would be like slapping people in the face. The idea of Captain America means something very primal and very strong to the people of this nation, and they have a very visceral reaction when you get to something like that. You want people to feel and react to your story. So far, so good."
Read more here: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/25/ca ... m-brevoort

As long as they're talking about it, even if that's how much people hate it. Right? I know all the hate tossed at Dan Slott's lead up to Superior Spider-Man made me check out a book I hadn't been reading in years, so maybe this will do the same for Cap, but I've since dropped Peter Parker's tales, and don't believe I want to read this repulsive tale designed to slap fans in the face.

Revealing that Cap has always been an undercover agent for HYDRA is a baffling move, and one which is sure to alienate a lot of fans, me included so I won't be buying it. If it turns out to be a much-heralded 'rebirth' of Captain America, then I can always get it in trade. Still, in a Marvel Universe with no Fantastic Four, a dead Cyclops, and Peter Parker now Tony Stark-lite, this revelation shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

So long Nick Spencer Captain America, I hardly knew you.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

I can understand Marvel adapting an model in which there is an overarching storyline for that runs for 16 to 24 months, in which there are consequences for characters that carry over to the next 'season'. My concerns are the branding/marketing behind these gimmicks along with the turnover in creators. Peter David during his run on the Hulk changed the status quo numerous. Hulk went from Mr. Fixit to Banner/Hulk who lead the Pantheon. I need Marvel to stop hyping everything and acting like huckters.
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

At least they are very open about it

http://www.newsarama.com/29524-marvel-n ... ve-in.html

Without this I doubt we would have gotten marvel comics with delmundo, titles like elektra, weirdworld, red wolf, howard the duck, howling commandos, black knight, vision, scarlet witch and others, albeit in most cases very short runs...

Though why they cant keep the numbering on main spider/avenger/xmen titles that will always go on and on is.. well ridiculous.
MisterFerro
Contributor

Marvel Comics Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso Announces "Divided

Post by MisterFerro »

The thing about comics is that you're always chasing the next thing. The frequency with which comics are published means that, as much as you're supposed to care about what just happened, the creators aren't doing their job if they don't leave you wanting the next one just as badly. That means that, even though Marvel's Civil War II still has a long way to go before it concludes, the company is already teasing Divided We Stand—the initiative that will showcase what the Marvel Universe looks like after the dust settles.

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3061358/mar ... the-fall/1

The reaction online so far seems very cold, to the point where 63% of CBR posters polled wrote that they were not excited at all and only 11% said they were excited: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=443.
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

I havent read anything in a comic that have given me any information of where the story is headed or what kind of status quo change is coming after CW2. We have an image, a tagline and know that some titles are ending.

For me thats not enough to say anything either way and certainly too early to expect excitement for something that we know next to nothing about. (other than the disappointing cancellation of howard the duck)

Its really a sad part of the comic book industry that "the internet" decide if something is good or bad before there is any relevant information about it to be had. Wild speculation and truthiness rules...

Compared to the long road to the Secret Wars we had almost no build up to Civil War 2 and from the first issues (#0-#2) we dont know much more than what was in the FCBD issue that revealed the spark and first victims of the conflict. Which does speak to the slow start the event is having but we have a few issues left... It really hangs on if Bendis can pull something good out of his story hat or not.
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

NiklasJ wrote:... excitement for something that we know next to nothing about. ...
so replying to myself :-)

New Avengers shifts to US(A?)vengers... looks like a good jumping off point for me. too bad, only read from stand-off issues but it was ok. Where do Songbird go next, thunderbolts?
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

The slow drip of ANAD news continues...http://goo.gl/me9U0W and http://goo.gl/mzCpBa. Please note that both links continue spoilers! I suspect a lot of titles will be renumbered/relaunched in addition to adding new titles.
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

If they renumber InvIM, a good title that have quite high sales, no title is safe sadly... Even so its a title I will continue reading as the current run has been good.

But seems like a bad idea, i expect sales will drop on this...
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

Captain Marvel to get 5th relaunch in 5 years.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... vel-series
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

Here is the checklist for Marvel NOW 2:

Marvel Now.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

MisterFerro wrote:Here is the checklist for Marvel NOW 2:

Marvel Now.
Thank you Mister Ferro. The promo has now been released too - Marvel Now 2.0 Promo Art. Warning, proceed with caution. The promo images may contain spoilers.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

MisterFerro wrote:Here is the checklist for Marvel NOW 2:

Marvel Now.
Wow - I would say I can't believe they are doing it again but I guess as long as we all play along - the reboots will continue (yeah I'm calling them reboots)
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

drew wrote: Wow - I would say I can't believe they are doing it again but I guess as long as we all play along - the reboots will continue (yeah I'm calling them reboots)
To be fair, its not a line wide reboot affecting all titles
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I "only" count 9-11 renumbered titles out of 62(?) (also depends on how you count the avengers...), a large number are new titles (many doa?). A good number actually retain numbering (28?). (note: im tired numbers are probably off...)

Ultimates squared (unnecessary... but I will keep it on my pull list)
Avengers (slightly unnecessary but big change in lineup, I will keep it on my pull list)
USAvengers(Newavengers) (repurposed title, dropping)
Venom (unnecessary... just drop it)
Captain Marvel (unnecessary... but I will keep it on my pull list)
Invincible ironman (unnecessary... but I will keep it on my pull list)
infamous doctordoom (This is going on my list NOW!)
Nova (if rider is back it will be on my list)
Starlord (unnecessary... just drop it)
(Hawkeye) title ended a few months back? and this is with Kate Bishop?
(Rocket raccoon) not quite same?

Also we have a Large number of titles missing, notable Slotts regular ASM (apparently confirmed on twitter to continue), all starwars, all xmen related(wolverine, logan, xmenish...), all inhuman related and probably others that are not on the list.

So theres probably more of both #1s and continuing titles coming.

Actually the worst thing about it is the overwhelming amount of titles in the Marvel catalog...

EDIT: my mistake inhumans are still represented on the list uncinh/mosaic/msmar