New DC cover for batman

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

tehkeizer
Contributor

New DC cover for batman

Post by tehkeizer »

So, rebirth: batman #1, and batman #1....they both look like rebirth: batman #1. anyone else kinda bothered by this?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0227/ ... 1459358187

and

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/ ... 00x923.jpg

i see a subtle difference, but if you're just a guy walking in off the street, would you know the difference?
IanG
Special Reviewer

Re: New DC cover for batman

Post by IanG »

I'd have to say that first cover is pretty bad overall. It's boring and it doesn't tell you anything about the inside of the book. The first cover was probably just a placeholder until they figured out what to do with it. At least the second newer cover tells us a little more about the book. It's a lot more interesting cover layout overall.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

I think tehkeizer was refering to possible/probable confusion around the title of the issues. Both of them sort of look like they could be Batman: Rebirth #1. The first actually was Batman: Rebirth #1 while the second was the Batman (2016) #1.

As for the content, the first is very generic and could apply to the overwhelming majority of Batman comics ever published (provided the costume was tweaked to reflect the then current costume design). The second is very issue specific without spoiling the story. What I particularly like about the Batman (2016) #1 cover is how well it serves as a memory jog for me of what was in the issue. The cover for Batman: Rebirth #1 fails completely on that score.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
tehkeizer
Contributor

Post by tehkeizer »

JohnMayo wrote:I think tehkeizer was refering to possible/probable confusion around the title of the issues. Both of them sort of look like they could be Batman: Rebirth #1.
thats exactly what i meant. Its a crappy design issue, that isnt something super horrible, just slightly annoying.
ghudson621
Passerby

Post by ghudson621 »

The new cover is great :)