Comic book physics

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

tehkeizer
Contributor

Comic book physics

Post by tehkeizer »

does it bother you when they break their own physics? I mean, i'm totally ok with comic books breaking real world physics, no problem. This came up in my mind recently when clark "shaved" his beard by using his heat vision off a mirror. Its been widely established that its NOT laser eyes, and it is heat vision. every time they have it reflect off a mirror, it drives me batty.

am i the only one? are there any other great anti comic physics stuff out there?
drew
Master Reviewer

Re: Comic book physics

Post by drew »

tehkeizer wrote:does it bother you when they break their own physics? I mean, i'm totally ok with comic books breaking real world physics, no problem. This came up in my mind recently when clark "shaved" his beard by using his heat vision off a mirror. Its been widely established that its NOT laser eyes, and it is heat vision. every time they have it reflect off a mirror, it drives me batty.

am i the only one? are there any other great anti comic physics stuff out there?
I never thought of it that way, but yeah, mostly I don't let that stuff take me out of the story...mostly :)
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

tehkeizer wrote:Its been widely established that its NOT laser eyes, and it is heat vision.
When/where has this been widely established.

In past continuities, the shaving via the heat vision and a mirror has been done repeatedly.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
ghudson621
Passerby

Post by ghudson621 »

I totally agree,at times they just make things up so badly. :)
tehkeizer
Contributor

Post by tehkeizer »

JohnMayo wrote:
tehkeizer wrote:Its been widely established that its NOT laser eyes, and it is heat vision.
When/where has this been widely established.

In past continuities, the shaving via the heat vision and a mirror has been done repeatedly.
When its called Heat Vision.
Also, after a quick scan of the googles i found out that it was originally supposed to be a subset of the x-ray vision, being able to melt metal with x-ray waves ("the heat of his x-ray vision" - superman vol 1 issue 59). They have done a lot of different things with it, like balls of fire, but its always called heat vision. its not really that big of a deal, since they mess with supes'' powers all the time, its just something that bothers me when they do it.