Best of 2016 Yearly Comics Spotlight

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Best of 2016 Yearly Comics Spotlight

Post by drew »

We will be recording a Best of 2016 episode at the end of December. It loosely follows the Weekly Comic Spotlight Format in that it focuses on Marvel, DC, Image and Other publisher's "best of" categories.

If you would like to vote, we would love to see what listeners of the show think about this year in comics. You don't have to have choices for each one (although that would be great) just the ones that stood out to you. Here are the categories we will be discussing:

DC:
Favorite Series (New or continuing)
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc-
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc)
Book you wish more people read-
Book you wish they would publish

Marvel:
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc
Book you wish more people read

Image:

Other Publishers:

Miscellaneous:
Favorite Publisher
Best All Ages title
Favorite Comic Television Show
Best Other (trade, hardcover, periodical or book)
Highlight of 2016
Prediction for 2017
How many comics do you read each week (average)

Additional Comments

Thanks for Voting!
Last edited by drew on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Re: Best of 2016 Yearly Comics Spotlight

Post by erickowabunga »

Can we add a Favorite Publisher onto the list? I am interested to see if we have a similar distribution amongst listeners, as there is with the mayo reports regarding the ordering information.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

compsolut wrote:Can we add a Favorite Publisher onto the list? I am interested to see if we have a similar distribution amongst listeners, as there is with the mayo reports regarding the ordering information.
I'm fine with adding that category.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

its added
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

DC:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) Wonder Woman '77 Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc- Rebirth #1 Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) Greg Capullo Book you wish more people read- Future Quest Book you wish they would publish Batman '89 meets Superman '79 or Wonder Woman '77 meets Batman '66 meets Superman '51 (John's idea )
Marvel:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) Star Wars Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc “End of Games” Darth Vader Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) Tom King Book you wish more people read Moon Knight Book you wish they would publish: A genuine Falcon series for Sam Wilson instead of him following the shadow of Captain America
Image:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) Moonshine Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc Paper Girls first arc Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) Mark Millar Book you wish more people read Mechanism Book you wish they would publish a sequel to Mark Millar's Starlight
Other Publishers:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) Black Hammer (Dark Horse) Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc Animosity #1 Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) Frank Cho Book you wish more people read: more Valiant Book you wish they would publish an updated Pureheart the Powerful
Miscellaneous:
Favorite PublisherBOOM! Best All Ages titleScooby Doo Team-Up Favorite Comic Television ShowSupergirl Best Other (trade, hardcover, periodical or book) Master of Kung-Fu Omnibus Highlight of 2016Captain America: Civil War was a smash at the theaters Prediction for 2017: Marvel will see fewer and fewer of my dollars How many comics do you read each week (average) 4-6
MichaelCastle
Contributor

Post by MichaelCastle »

Would it be ok to add a favorite cover of the year?
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

John and I were both lukewarm on the category and it was one of the ones most left blank in previous years - feel free to include whatever you like in best other or additional comments section
MichaelCastle
Contributor

Post by MichaelCastle »

That's cool. Also do we need to put spoiler tags in front of our answers like Bralinator or is that optional?
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

MichaelCastle wrote:That's cool. Also do we need to put spoiler tags in front of our answers like Bralinator or is that optional?
Optional - your call
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

DC:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) - Green Lanterns
(EDIT, runners up: wonderwoman, nightwing, detective comics)

Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc - WonderWoman#2, didnt think much happened in the first issue but the title got better from here

Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) - Greg Rucka

Book you wish more people read - GreenLanterns

a swampthing like moore or snyder/soule, not the convergence and 7ish-mini they just did

The titles i keep reading i really like, have to be tough and cut in the pull list, sooo many comics to read.

Marvel:
Amazing SpiderMan
(EDIT, close call: spiderwoman, ultimates, moon knight, wolverine)

SpiderWoman #12 porcupine vs sandman

Bendis, jesica jones, ironman/doom, civilwar2 (its slow but i like the story)

MoonKnight
(EDIT, also: gwenpool, spiderwoman)

Doom2099 :-)

so many good marvel comic titles, amazingspiderman, wolverine, champions, avengers, ultimates, drstrange, thor, crazy moonknight and gwenpool, and promising new ones jessica jones, thanos, nova)

Image:
Monstress
(EDIT, how can we only get to pick one!?! Saga, wicDiv, Nailbiter, Lazarus, Birthright... many to pick from, now that i read Seven to eternity its also a close runner up...)

tough to single out one, lets go with The Wicked + The Divine #18, Green Valley #1 was also a good start

Kieron Gillen, McKelvie, WicDiv
(EDIT: Andrei Bressan on birthright is lovely fantasy art)

Low

their halting schedule is bugging me, titles that only publish 4-5 issues a year loose momentum too much. Also here too many good titles to get more than a few.

EDIT, unrelated nonsense
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I think they could benefit of having more of the new titles being mini-series, a complicated ongoing image title can go on for ever with very sporadic releases of issues and that doesnt seem to have a large chance of ever being finished. It turns me off from trying their new releases out.

For example black monday murders, no solicit of next issue yet, or Black Magic for that matter, long time hiatus. If the whole point of the comic is some very mysterious long form story that move very small steps for each new issue and will never finish whats the point? At least Copperhead had something else than a cloudy backplot to care about.

Other Publishers:
Skybourne (? dont know which publisher?)

Skybourne #1

Frank Cho :-)

Miscellaneous:
Favorite Publisher
Marvel
Best All Ages title
Hilda
Lucifer
The Expance novels
Highlight of 2016
Gwenpool
Prediction for 2017
Xmen sales resurrexion
10-15

Additional Comments

Its been a middling year, nothing new really standing out. The new marvel titles havent been going on for more than a an issue or two but look interesting (jessica jones, thanos, champions, infamous ironman). IvX also only #1 out but had a promising start with actual action in the first issue.

Personally im surprised about the super interest in DC rebirth. I have a few titles that I like but have dropped half of initial titles. Justice league didnt catch on, Titans wasnt really what i was looking for during the first arc. First arc of Batman was very different from what id look for in a bat story, then monster men was what it was... and continued with the change in catwoman, it just was too much. Cut off nightwing but might add that back since its been better and more inline of the acrobatic hero detective story i expect. (Edited to make some sense...)
Last edited by NiklasJ on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sterling
Passerby

Post by Sterling »

I can't wait for the best of 2016 episode!
Last edited by Sterling on Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
MichaelCastle
Contributor

Post by MichaelCastle »

Here are my pics: Amazing year in comics can't wait for 2017!

DC:
Favorite Series (New or continuing): Shade The Changing Girl
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc- Flash #5 Barry's Day Off(Instead of fighting some huge villain we see a little day in the life of Barry)
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) : Gerard Way starting up the Young Animal imprint bringing something new totally outside the mainstream
Book you wish more people read- Shade The Changing Girl
Book you wish they would publish - more Vertigo titles seems like that imprint is disappearing again

Marvel:
Favorite Series (New or continuing)- Spider-Man/Deadpool
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc - Deadpool #20 (Deadpool meets a girl about to commit suicide and takes her on a night of highjinks ending with convincing her to get help at mental health center. Story caught me completely off guard because Deadpool is usually my break from serious works and it worked amazingly well.)
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) - Tom King for Vision took a character I had no interest in and made him relevant and made me care about the story and his fate
Book you wish more people read - Punisher( Becky Cloonan is spinning quite a good tale although I realize this character is very polarizing but hey at least he wasn't drawn into Civil War 2)
Book you wish they would publish- Honestly they need to trim some titles

Image:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) - The Walking Dead
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc - The Fix #3 (One of the main characters is security for a washed up Hollywood actress turns into a night of hilarious bad choices ending in disaster. So funny and man I need reread this issue again)
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc)- Brian K Vaughn/Fiona Staples for Saga
Book you wish more people read- The Fix (honorable mention for Manifest Destiny, Beauty, & Kill or Be Killed)
Book you wish they would publish- Walking Dead spinoff helmed by Brian K Vaughn and Fiona Staples

Other Publishers:
Favorite Series (New or continuing)- Black Hammer
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc- Black Hammer first arc we learn more about these heroes and them dealing with their memories of who they were back on their world while trying to keep that secret and live a mundane existence in this new one. Amazing
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc)- Brian Wood(Briggs Land, Rebels, Black Road, he tackles every genre and pulls it off)
Book you wish more people read- Briggs Land(already optioned for an AMC tv show and it's down to 6,000 in sales people are missing out) Honorable mention for Animosity from Aftershock comics.
Book you wish they would publish- Avatar give me back my Crossed!

Miscellaneous:
Favorite Publisher-Image
Best All Ages title- Giant Days
Favorite Comic Television Show- The Walking Dead
Best Other (trade, hardcover, periodical or book)-Spider-Man/Deadpool: volume 1 Isn't It Bromantic?
Highlight of 2016- So many good comics coming out I have too much too read. Deadpool the movie was all I could've hoped for and more
Prediction for 2017- Squirrel Girl & Tippy Toe accidentally start Civil War 3 as Tippy mistakenly digs up Wolverines adamantium corpse and it becomes angry attacking All New Wolverine and Old Man Logan battling for the mantle of who will be called Wolverine! Brian Michael Bendis launches the 5 issue miniseries which is then delayed and extended to 10 issues with every Marvel book being drawn into the war with universe changing consequences
How many comics do you read each week (average)-(15-20)

Additional Comments- Huge thanks to John & Drew for doing the WCS every week plus John with Mayo Reports I grind 50 hours a week or more at work and it's great to have it to help me get through the week. This forum has been amazing as well everyone is so positive and it's a wonderful community to be part of. Also love participating in the Previews Spotlight and I honestly don't know how John does all this and keeps up his reading. You are a superhero in my book John. Kudos to you and Drew for making this all possible

Thanks for Voting!
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

DC:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) - Superman
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc - Rebirth #1
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) - Scott Snyder & John Romita Jr. for All-Star Batman
Book you wish they would publish - Deadman

Image:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) - Black Monday Murders
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc - Wicked & Divine 1831 One-Shot by Kieron Gillen and Stephanie Hans
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) - Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie for Wicked and Divine
Book you wish more people read - Manifest Destiny

Other Publishers:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) - Black Hammer (Dark Horse) by Jeff Lemire and Dave Ormston
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc - Bloodshot Island in Bloodshot Reborn (Valiant) by Jeff Lemire and Mico Suayan
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) - Jeff Lemire (see above)
Book you wish more people read - Anything Valiant
Book you wish they would publish - Shadowman from Valiant

Miscellaneous:
Favorite Publisher - DC
Best All Ages title - Batman and TMNT (DC & IDW).
Favorite Comic Television Show - Gotham
Highlight of 2016 - 1) DC's Rebirth, 2) Struggling Market - Hastings closing its doors & Wizard World struggling financially
Prediction for 2017 - Market correction for the cons. Too many cons that are trying to appeal to too many areas of comic/tv/movie fandom. Are comic dealers at the cons anymore successful than LCSs? Do cosplayers buy anything? Wizard World and Amazing Con (canceling most of its cons) demonstrate they are the first to feel the need to focus on something instead of trying to be San Diego.
How many comics do you read each week (average) - 6

Additional Comments

Many thanks to all the great podcasts! I can't believe the longevity that ifanboy, 11 o'clock comics, and John Mayo & Co. have demonstrated. I only wish for many, many more shows!
Last edited by SpideySavestheDay on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

DC:

• Superwoman
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc-
• DC Universe Rebirth #1
• Jason Fabok (artist of Justice League and Justice League versus the Suicide Squad)
• Phil Jimenez (writer of Superwoman)
Book you wish more people read-
• Shade the Changing Girl
• Legion of Super-Heroes

Marvel:

• Mighty Thor
• Vision #11
• David Marquez (Artist of Civil War II)
• Jason Aaron (Writer of Thor, Unworthy Thor, and Star Wars)
• Empress (by Mark Millar and Stuart Immonen)
• Excalibur or a title featuring MI:13 characters such as Captain Britain
Image:

• Lazarus
• The Wicked + The Divine #22
• Greg Rucka (Writer of Black Magick and Lazarus)
• Frank Quietly (Artist of Jupiter’s Legacy)
• Seven to Eternity
• The Bill Willingham/Barry Kitson title announced a few years ago at Image Expo

Other Publishers:

• Captain Kid - from Aftershock Comics
• Skybourne (Boom Studios)
• Frank Cho (artist – Skybourne from Boom Studios)
• Mark Waid (writer – Archie from Archie Comics and Captain Kidd form Aftershock Comics)
• Harbinger: Renegades (Valiant)
• Dark Horse could get Kurt Busiek & Stuart Immonen to publish more Shock Rockets, and/or another Black Beetle mini by Francesco Francavilla. I do hope Dark Horse repackages the current Black Beetle story currently in Dark Horse as a one-shot.

Miscellaneous:

Favorite Publisher
• DC Comics - strong second half of 2016 thanks to Rebirth

Best All Ages title
• Archie written by Mark Waid
• Supergirl
• Wonder Woman Earth One
Highlight of 2016
• The Arrowverse shows (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow) pulling off a very enjoyable crossover event.
Prediction for 2017
• DC and Marvel will experiment with titles that do more done-in-one issues and/or two-part stories. Also, accelerated-shipping will cause more headaches for both publishers.
• Six
victorvondoom
Reviewer

Post by victorvondoom »

DC:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) - Titans
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc- DC Rebirth #1
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) - Dan Abnett. He has written a lot of great books this year.
Book you wish more people read- Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye
Book you wish they would publish - Legion of Super Heroes

Marvel:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) - Carnage
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc - Champions #1 was a pleasant surprise.
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) - Andrea Sorrentino. Artist on Old Man Logan.
Book you wish more people read - Thunderbolts
Book you wish they would publish - Here's a great idea, how about Marvel publishes FANTASTIC FOUR!

Image:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) - The Walking Dead
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc - Moonshine #1. Great start.
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) - Jerome Opena. Artist on Seven To Eternity.
Book you wish more people read - Nailbiter. This book is ending at issue 30 but it has been a really good story that I have been enjoying since the start.
Book you wish they would publish - Copperhead, which I see is actually back in the solicitations. Yay!

Other Publishers:
Favorite Series (New or continuing) - Darkwing Duck. Joe Books. It's great.
Favorite Single Issue or Story Arc - Darkwing Duck #6. They visit a comic convention. Great writing and art! Also loved the story in the first volume of Rough Riders. Great Book!
Favorite Creator (Writer/Artist/etc) - Cullen Bunn. He writes a ton of books about a ton of things and is good at it.
Book you wish more people read - GI Joe A Real American Hero. Larry Hama just keeps on doing what he does.
Book you wish they would publish - Afterlife With Archie.

Miscellaneous:
Favorite Publisher - Idw
Best All Ages title - The Only Living Boy. Lots of fun!
Favorite Comic Television Show - The Walking Dead
Best Other (trade, hardcover, periodical or book) - Previews. I spend so much time looking at that book every month.
Highlight of 2016 - DC Rebirth actually worked out.
Prediction for 2017 - Drastic reorganization of my pull list.
How many comics do you read each week (average) - I'm close to 2000 issues for the year, so around 38 books per week. That includes new releases and back issues, trades, etc.

Additional Comments - 2016 was a good year for comics in my opinion. The problem I am having is that I like too much of it. I am in the process of rethinking my pull list in a big way. I love a lot of the DC Rebirth titles but this double shipping is killing me. I am behind on almost all DC books by 3 or 4 issues, some even more, and it seems to be growing exponentially. I don't like the feeling when I get far behind and am trying to catch up all of the time. Takes a bit of the fun out of it for me.

I want to say thanks to John for all of his efforts to make these great podcasts, and also to Kay, Drew, TJ, and Sam. I appreciate the time and work you guys have put in these shows. They continue to provide me with many hours of entertainment while I am commuting back and forth to work, while I am working, and while doing stuff around the house.
Here's to a great 2017!

-Jerry
Last edited by victorvondoom on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.