Previews Spotlight #043 (May->Jul): Fri May 6th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Previews Spotlight #043 (May->Jul): Fri May 6th: 5pm pac

Post by BobBretall »

The new Previews should ship on the last Wed (April 27th) which would put the Previews call on Friday May 6th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

As always, get on Skype around the start time (or join any time after, the call can run 4 hours of rousing comics chat) and look for thejohnmayo OR BobBretall & message to get joined into the call.

Submissions for the Previews Spotlight #043 show should be in by Midnight on Friday May 6th.

Of course you can start sending in submissions as soon as you have them done. Sending them in early is appreciated as it give us more time to organize the clips and plan out the episode.

Discuss any of the new comics AND call dibs on reviewing any particular comic on this thread.

Remember: We encourage anyone to send in a short audio clip where they can talk about any book that's coming out in the upcoming Previews that they are really excited about. The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com. (Some people were only send them to either just John or just Bob and we both need to get them to prepare to recording the episode. By using TheGuys email address, the email goes to both Bob and John.)

PLEASE: Each featured item should be in a separate audio file.

We would also appreciate it if you put the page number followed by the full name of the item in the filename. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Dark Horse (Comic Book Resources)

DC (Comic Book Resources)

IDW (Comics Continuum)

Image (Comic Book Resources)

Marvel (Comic Book Resources)

--------------------------------------------

Ape (Comics Continuum)

Archie (Comics Continuum)

Aspen (Comics Continuum)

Big Dog Ink (Comics Continuum)

Bluewater (Comics Continuum)

Bongo (Comics Continuum)

Boom! (Comics Continuum)

Dynamite (Comics Continuum)

Moonstone

Oni (Comics Continuum)

Radical

Red 5 (Comics Continuum)

Zenoscope (Comics Continuum)
Last edited by BobBretall on Mon May 16, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 13 times in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

DC

Finally! This SHOULD be done & ready to roll, as DC said it wouldn't be solicited until it was done......
THE NEW TEEN TITANS: GAMES HC
Written by MARV WOLFMAN
Art and cover by GEORGE PEREZ
Legendary creators Marv Wolfman (CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS) and George Pérez (FINAL CRISIS: LEGION OF THREE WORLDS) reunite for a lost tale from their classic run on the best-selling NEW TEEN TITANS!
This original graphic novel features a mysterious villain playing a deadly game with New York City as the gameboard – and the Teen Titans as thepieces! Twenty years in the making, THE NEW TEEN TITANS: GAMES is a can’t-miss for fans new and old.
I was initially very excited about these, but I'm not really interested in paying $4.99 to get a bit more than a $2.99 comic + a reprint of something I already have from the 70's.
That said, for people who don't have all the 1970's DC Comics, this is probably a good deal, as you'll be getting a story that is "new to you".
DC RETROACTIVE: SUPERMAN – THE ‘70S #1
DC RETROACTIVE: BATMAN – THE ‘70S #1
DC RETROACTIVE: WONDER WOMAN – THE ‘70S #1
DC RETROACTIVE: GREEN LANTERN – THE ‘70S #1
DC RETROACTIVE: FLASH – THE ‘70S #1
DC RETROACTIVE: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA – THE ‘70S #1

Plus: Following the 26-page lead story is a classic tale originally published in the ’70s
ONE-SHOTs
56 pg, FC, $4.99 US
New writer on PG, being at a Power Girl con seems like a fun story idea.
POWER GIRL #26
Written by MATTHEW STURGES
Power Girl is in the big leagues now – and the First Annual “Power Girl Convention” has asked her to attend! But is she ready to meet her #1 fan? How about when that fan decides to keep P.G. around as her best friend and personal bodyguard – forever?
Hey! Terry Moore (Echo, Strangers In Paradise) is doing a guest-artist one-shot on Fables!
FABLES #107
Written by BILL WILLINGHAM
Guest art by TERRY MOORE
We all know the curse: She’ll sleep until she’s kissed by a handsome prince who loves her with true love. We have the sleeping girl. We have the handsome princes — lots of them. But where’s the true love? Without that, we fear she may spend a long time napping among the thorns. Oh, and memo to all you handsome princes lining up: When you hack your way into the city to kiss the girl, make sure you don’t try to kiss the Snow Queen instead.

Marvel

Read the blurb that confirms that someone at "Ain't It Cool News" takes hallucinogens!
BLACK PANTHER: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR #521
You've read about it, and may have even argued about it...but here it is: The debut of the American Panther! What does his arrival mean to Hell's Kitchen? Find out in the series that Aint It Cool News hails as "one of the best titles Marvel is putting out!"
4 MORE Fear Itself Minis! I'll get the FF one & skip the other 3.
FEAR ITSELF: FF #1
FEAR ITSELF: UNCANNY X-FORCE #1
FEAR ITSELF: THE WORTHY #1
FEAR ITSELF: WOLVERINE #1
Only 8 books double shipping this month! It's like a vacation!! (well, Ultimate Fallout is triple-shipping). I'm not getting the red ones.
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #665 & 666
FF #6 & #7
INCREDIBLE HULKS #632 & 633
NEW MUTANTS #27 & #28
ULTIMATE FALLOUT #1-3
UNCANNY X-MEN #540 & 541
X-MEN #14 & 15
X-MEN: SCHISM #1 & #2
This should be good, but given McNiven's track record, will it stay on schedule? I hope they do a McNiven arc (that he's hopefully already done with) and then bring in some other artist.
CAPTAIN AMERICA #1
Written by ED BRUBAKER
Pencils & Cover by STEVE MCNIVEN
Bestselling Cap writer Ed Brubaker and superstar artist Steve McNiven bring you the next huge chapter in Steve Rogers life, and it's a perfect jumping-on point for fans of the Cap movie. A funeral for a fallen friend turns into a race against time as the original Captain America makes his explosive return!
Cap numbering continues as Cap&Bucky. Chris Samnee art has me excited, I loved his work on the Thor: Mighty Avenger book.
CAPTAIN AMERICA AND BUCKY #620
Written by ED BRUBAKER & MARK ANDREYKO
Penciled by CHRIS SAMNEE
Think you know the story of Cap and Bucky's origins? Well, think again. The secret story of the early days of Captain America, told from Bucky Barnes's point of view.
I'll be getting this mini, I love Ariel Olivetti's art.......
THOR: HEAVEN & EARTH #1 (of 4)
Written by PAUL JENKINS
Art & Cover by Ariel Olivetti
In the days before the terrible events of Ragnarok, the Gods of Asgard stare across the ramparts of their city towards a massive, demonic army massed at the gates — the prophesied End of All Days is about to begin. As the armies of darkness begin their initial attacks, Thor confronts Loki, who is destined to usher in the fall of Asgard. But what he learns from the Loki may change the way he sees his treacherous half-brother. For perhaps this terrible event is a time also of renewal. Perhaps in this desperate hour even the God of Lies has a purpose.
I'm definitely giving this one a shot. Hopefully Mark Waid can bring back a Daredevil I want to read about (in the wake of Diggle & Shadowland)
DAREDEVIL #1
Written by MARK WAID
Penciled by PAOLO MANUEL RIVERA AND MARCOS MARTIN
THIS SUMMER, THE DEVIL IS REBORN. RENEWED. RESSURECTED.
With new enemies, new friends…and that same old “grinnin’ in the face of hell” attitude, The Man Without Fear is back in a double-sized first issue and leading with his face! Mark Waid (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, Irredeemable, RUSE) joins neo-legendary artists Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin for a new spin on Daredevil that will leave you gasping for air. Having turned his world upside over the past several years, Matt Murdock realizes that justice may not be blind to his past and villains may not be the only ones looking for answers. Bring it on. If Matt Murdock could see what he was doing…he’d be terrified.
Linsner art! I'm in!!!
WOLVERINE & BLACK CAT: CLAWS 2 #1 (of 3)
Written by JAMES PALMIOTTI
Pencils & Cover by JOSEPH MICHAEL LINSNER
James Palmiotti, Justin Gray and Joseph M. Linsner return to right where their classic “Claws” storyline left off to bring us an all-new tale of action, intrigue and razor-sharp appendages. Two of Marvel’s most beloved and be-clawed heroes, Wolverine and Black Cat, have barely had time to catch their breath from defeating the villainous mastermind Arcade and his sidekick White Rabbit when the two evil schemers find an escape from their exile in The Savage Land, and an entryway into revenge! Watch the fur fly as these four fight it out in an all-new, no-holds-barred Claws adventure!
Danscomics
Special Reviewer

Post by Danscomics »

BobBretall wrote: Only 8 books double shipping this month! It's like a vacation!! (well, Ultimate Fallout is triple-shipping). I'm not getting the red ones.
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #665 & 666
FF #6 & #7
INCREDIBLE HULKS #632 & 633
NEW MUTANTS #27 & #28
ULTIMATE FALLOUT #1-3
UNCANNY X-MEN #540 & 541
X-MEN #14 & 15
X-MEN: SCHISM #1 & #2
Maybe a vacation for you, but the only ones they dropped the double shipping on are the ones I'm not following (except Incredible Hulks). Curse you Marvel and your super-shipping ways!
We now have digital comics for sale. Check out our shop

Looking for comics or games? Check out my main store and Comic Collector Live store. You can also sign up for the Comic Collector's Club subscription service on my main site.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Danscomics wrote: Maybe a vacation for you, but the only ones they dropped the double shipping on are the ones I'm not following (except Incredible Hulks). Curse you Marvel and your super-shipping ways!
The "vacation" I was referring to was that ONLY 8 were double-shipping as opposed to the 14 that double-shipped last month!

And no "Point 1" books either!
Danscomics
Special Reviewer

Post by Danscomics »

BobBretall wrote:
Danscomics wrote: Maybe a vacation for you, but the only ones they dropped the double shipping on are the ones I'm not following (except Incredible Hulks). Curse you Marvel and your super-shipping ways!
The "vacation" I was referring to was that ONLY 8 were double-shipping as opposed to the 14 that double-shipped last month!

And no "Point 1" books either!
Ahh, sorry I thought you meant that you only had 2 titles double shipping next month.

I'm really happy about the no Point 1 books, hopefully that means the initiative has ended. I bought them in the beginning because Marvel offered retailers a free display (which turned out to be cheap cardboard that only holds 1 title at a time) and 25 variants. However, they haven't been selling at all so I stopped ordering them except the ones I want to read personally.

Looking for comics or games? Check out my main store and Comic Collector Live store. You can also sign up for the Comic Collector's Club subscription service on my main site.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Danscomics wrote: I'm really happy about the no Point 1 books, hopefully that means the initiative has ended. I bought them in the beginning because Marvel offered retailers a free display (which turned out to be cheap cardboard that only holds 1 title at a time) and 25 variants. However, they haven't been selling at all so I stopped ordering them except the ones I want to read personally.
I'm really curious about how widespread this is. I know that I personally have been avoiding them like the plague, but wasn't sure how these had been going over in general.

Perhaps people reading this thread can check the shelves at their LCS & see how many "Point 1s" are warming the shelves.
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

I'm not sure how point one's are selling, but I know I read Hulk #31 and I felt like I was really missing something in the story. Then I realized I hadn't read Hulk #30.1. :roll: Luckily I had the issue it was just at the bottom of the stack. I really don't see how they're new or lasped reader friendly. I cry foul on Marvel marketing for that. I'm a regular reader I don't completely understand what's going on.
yensid4disney
Contributor

Post by yensid4disney »

BobBretall wrote:And no "Point 1" books either!
Sorry Bob, but you must have missed the Marvel point 1 collection!
MARVEL POINT ONE TPB
Written by VARIOUS
Penciled by VARIOUS
Cover by PAULO SIQUEIRA
START READING with these Point One Issues! The House of Ideas proudly presents an exciting collection of one-shots that bring the history of its greatest heroes into the modern era of the Marvel Universe. Witness the birth of a new Spider-Man! The Avengers battle the Intelligencia! The new Captain America goes on trial! Deadpool faces down the Wrecker! General Fortean challenges the Red Hulk! Iron Man takes his first steps into the future! The Secret Avengers go public! The nefarious Grey Gargoyle challenges Thor for the prize of immortality! X-Force protects Utopia against Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers! The X-Men defend Magneto’s! And Wolverine’s birthday goes very bad, very fast! Hop aboard the Marvel Universe here! Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #654.1, AVENGERS (2010) #12.1, CAPTAIN AMERICA (1968) #615.1, DEADPOOL (2008) #33.1, HULK (2008) #30.1, INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #500.1, SECRET AVENGERS #12.1, THOR (1966) #620.1, UNCANNY X-FORCE #5.1, UNCANNY X-MEN #534.1 and WOLVERINE (2010) #5.1.
264 PGS./Parental Advisory …$24.99
Needless to say I am not getting that.
Danscomics
Special Reviewer

Post by Danscomics »

I can't believe it. Not only is that book silly when you factor in what the purpose of all those issues are, but the descriptions (at least for the issues I have read) are completely misleading. "Birth of a new Spider-Man"? It was the birth of a new Venom if anything. "Iron Man takes his first steps into the future"? The majority of the book focused on him retelling his entire history.

I really hate the term "money grab" but this is one of the few times that I feel there is no other way to describe that book. I will not be purchasing it for myself or for sale in my store (unless someone specifically asks for it).

[/rant]

stardog
Reviewer

Post by stardog »

Hulk is double shipping too. They just did separate solicitations because one of the issues is a Fear Itself tie-in.

HULK #36
Written by JEFF PARKER
Pencils & Cover by PATRICK ZIRCHER
I AM CAPTAIN AMERICA VARIANT BY John Tyler Christopher
Why is Red Hulk dreaming of people dying- and how does this vision lead to the all-new, all-improved M.O.D.O.K.? Fortunately for Red Hulk, part of M.O.D.O.K.’s new M.O. is a more non-confrontational personal approach to villainy. Unfortunately for Red Hulk, although M.O.D.O.K. desires to keep his own hands clean, he feels no such need to reign in his newest ally, the electrifying Zzzax!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

HULK #37
Written by JEFF PARKER
Penciled by ELENA CASAGRANDE
Cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN
FEAR ITSELF TIE-IN
As the hammer-wielders continue their campaign of fear and terror, Red Hulk takes up arms against the newly deified XXX XXXXX! It’s bruiser versus bruiser as two of the world’s strongest battle it out in an all-out brawl that will shake the world! And no one is watching this closer than M.O.D.O.K.!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

yensid4disney wrote:
BobBretall wrote:And no "Point 1" books either!
Sorry Bob, but you must have missed the Marvel point 1 collection!
No NEW Point One books...... I saw & was not counting the reprint of all the existing ones.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Dark Horse solicits are up. I'll be getting:

CONAN: THE ISLAND OF NO RETURN #2
SOLOMON KANE: RED SHADOWS #4 (of 4)
HELLBOY: THE FURY #2 (of 3)
B.P.R.D.: HELL ON EARTH—MONSTERS #1 (of 2)
CRIMINAL MACABRE/THE GOON: WHEN FREAKS COLLIDE
USAGI YOJIMBO #139

I will note that it's kind of bizarre that Dark Horse has Usagi classified as "humor", it's not, IMO.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

New Solicits up for Bongo & IDW:

Cool from Bongo:
SERGIO ARAGONES FUNNIES #1
Written and art by Sergio Aragones
Matt Groening presents an all-new monthly series by the world's most famous and most honored cartoonist, Sergio Aragonés! Each issue offers an assortment of autobiographical anecdotes, perplexing puzzles, slap-happy short stories, as well as Sergio's unique and hilarious pantomimes and gags. With this new series, the world's most beloved cartoonist continues to prove that humor is truly a universal language!

Super-Cool from IDW:
WALTER SIMONSON'S THOR: ARTIST'S EDITION
Written, art and cover by Walter Simonson.
This year, IDW Publishing, in cooperation with Marvel Comics, offers the second book in the series: Walter Simonson's Thor: Artist's Edition! This collection will present Thor 337-340 and 360-362 -- Simonson's first story, followed by one of his favorite arcs.
Thor #337 is one of the groundbreaking issues in modern comics, introducing the classic character, Beta Ray Bill. It was a runaway sellout when first released and it has only gained prominence with time. Simonson went on to write and draw approximately 40 issues of Thor and his legendary run on the title is an undisputed classic.
All the pages in the Artist's Edition were scanned from Simonson's personal original art to ensure the highest possible quality reproduction. While appearing to be in black and white, each page was scanned in color to mimic as closely as possible the experience of viewing the actual original art -- for instance, corrections and blue pencils. Each page is printed the same size as drawn, and the paper selected is as close as possible to the original art board.
DAVE STEVENS: THE COMPLETE SKETCHBOOK COLLECTION
Written, art and covers by Dave Stevens.
From the same people who brought you the Rocketeer Complete Adventures! For several years, Dave Stevens self-published four sketchbooks to sell at the San Diego Comic Con. These were very limited editions and are now highly sought-after collectibles. This volume collects the entire contents of those four sketchbooks, plus approximately 100 additional sketches that have never before been published. As with any sketchbook, the drawings in this volume are of varying stages of completion. They are a reminder that a piece of art is not full-born on the paper but rather is the product of hard work and sweat by the artist. These sketches, layouts, illustrations and portraits offer a unique behind-the-scenes glimpse of Dave Stevens' tremendous facility with pencil, pen and brush, and how special a talent he was.
I'll also be getting:
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS #9
JOHN BYRNE'S NEXT MEN #8
KILL SHAKESPEARE #12
ROCKETEER ADVENTURES #3
TRUE BLOOD: TAINTED LOVE #6
WORMWOOD: BINGO NIGHT IN VALHALLA #1
WYNONNA EARP: THE YETI WARS #3

The Parker: Martini Edition looks cool, but I already have the 2 HCs that came out, so I'm not going to "double-dip" on $75 collection. It's kind of irritating when they do an edition like this with a new story that I'll miss out on if I don't want to re-buy a bunch of stuff I already have (and that I supported the publisher on). They should put out the new material as a comic like "The Man with the Getaway Face".
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Notable (for me) from Dynamite:
THE BOYS: BUTCHER, BAKER, CANDLESTICKMAKER #1
Written by Garth Ennis Penciller/Inker/Covers: Darick Robertson
The story of Billy Butcher, the Boys' mysterious leader, is told at last. From the backstreets of London's East End to the carnage of the Falklands War, from the heights of love to the depths of tragedy, the most violent man in comics reveals the terrible nature of the forces that drive him. And when he's done, he'll be ready... to finish things once and for all.
As "The Boys" gets ever closer to the main series end, I will enjoy seeing the origin of Billy Butcher. What I don't like is that getting Darick Robertson on this book means we get another fill-in artist on the main book.
WARLORD OF MARS: FALL OF BARSOOM #1
Written by Robert Place Napton, art by Roberto Castro, covers by Joe Jusko, Francesco Francavilla.
100,000 years before the time of John Carter! Barsoom is a dying world: its once mighty oceans are receding and its atmosphere grows more tenuous by the day. The Orovars, who have dominated for a million years, are on the verge of extinction at the hands of the Green Hordes and the emerging Red Martians. Two Orovars -- a Scientist and a General -- race against time to save their people before Mars plunges into barbarism!
I LOVE Warlord of Mars (and the Dejah Thoris series), but in a move that Dynamite should patent, they are yet again over-expanding a franchise. I personally don't need 3 Warlord of Mars titles every month. I'm going to skip this one. I guess they add titles until one fails to sell. For me, this is the one that will be that breaking point.
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

BobBretall wrote:Notable (for me) from Dynamite:
THE BOYS: BUTCHER, BAKER, CANDLESTICKMAKER #1
Written by Garth Ennis Penciller/Inker/Covers: Darick Robertson
The story of Billy Butcher, the Boys' mysterious leader, is told at last. From the backstreets of London's East End to the carnage of the Falklands War, from the heights of love to the depths of tragedy, the most violent man in comics reveals the terrible nature of the forces that drive him. And when he's done, he'll be ready... to finish things once and for all.
As "The Boys" gets ever closer to the main series end, I will enjoy seeing the origin of Billy Butcher. What I don't like is that getting Darick Robertson on this book means we get another fill-in artist on the main book.
What I don't like is while I sat through the last 4-5 issues of crap from the main series, now we get a possibly good story in a mini about the origin of Butcher. I've dropped The Boys, so I won't bother with this now. I'll probably read the rest of the series and this when it's all said and done.