Previews Spotlight #024 (Oct->Dec): Fri Oct 9th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Previews Spotlight #024 (Oct->Dec): Fri Oct 9th: 5pm pac

Post by BobBretall »

The new Previews hit the stands Today (Sept 30th).

We'll do the Previews call on Friday October 9th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

As always, get on Skype around the start time (or join any time after, the call can run 4 hours of rousing comics chat) and look for thejohnmayo message him to get joined into the call.

Submissions for the Previews Spotlight #024 show should be in by the end of Friday October 9th

Of course you can start sending in submissions as soon as you have them done. Sending them in early is appreciated as it give us more time to organized the clips and plan out the episode.

Remember: We encourage anyone to send in a short audio clip where they can talk about any book that's coming out in the upcoming Previews that they are really excited about. The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com. (Some people were only send them to either just John or just Bob and we both need to get them to prepare to recording the episode. By using TheGuys email address, the email goes to both Bob and John.)

PLEASE: Each featured item should be in a separate audio file.

We would also appreciate it if you put the page number followed by the full name of the item in the filename. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Call dibs on reviewing any particular comic on this thread.

Previews Consumer Order Form (.pdf)

Dark Horse

DC Comics

DC "Other"

Marvel Comics

Marvel Collected Editions

--------------------------------------------

Ape

Arcana

Archie

Aspen

Bluewater

Bongo

Boom!

Devil's Due

Dynamite

IDW

Mirage

Moonstone

Oni Press

Radical

Red 5

Top Cow

Viper

-------------- Publisher on-line solicits that have not gone up yet this month -----------------

Antarctic

Archaia

Dabel Bros.

Zenoscope
Last edited by BobBretall on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Picks for John & Bob this month:

Dark Horse

EMPOWERED
Even as costumed crime fighter Empowered fights a desperate battle against a functionally invulnerable, grave-robbing supervillain inside a secret underground mausoleum for fallen superheroes, back at Emp's apartment, the alien demonlord imprisoned upon her coffee table spins a tempestuous tell-all tale of the often-struggling heroine's deepest secrets . . . The scruple-free storyteller soon reveals how all of Empowered's many frustrations at work, at home, and even in the bedroom can be conveyed strictly through the vocabulary of her extraordinarily expressive exhalations, thus making her . . . "The wench with a Million Sighs!"

DC
BATMAN 80-PAGE GIANT #1
The BATMAN 80-PAGE GIANT features can't-miss action from some of today's premiere up-and-coming talent working on your favorite characters! It's the biggest blizzard of the year, and everyone in Gotham City is doing what they can to help. Find out what Batman, Robin, Alfred, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Veil, Poison Ivy and more get up to when snow brings Gotham City to a standstill!

BATGIRL #5
It’s Bat vs. Bat in “Core Requirements” part 1! As Gotham City burns, the new Batgirl comes face-to-face with Batman and Robin, who are anything but happy about her running around with a bat-symbol on her costume. Batman confronts Oracle as Damian confronts Stephanie in the ultimate Bat-family feud.
On sale December 9 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

DC HOLIDAY SPECIAL 2009 #1
It’s that time of year! You can’t miss your favorite characters bringing good cheer to all. Even Deadman and B’wana Beast find ways to celebrate the spirit of the season!
ONE-SHOT • On sale December 9 • 80 pg, FC, $5.99 US

WONDER WOMAN #39
This is it! The secret behind Wonder Woman's new power and the true meaning of the Olympian are revealed right here!
It’s an all-out action issue as Diana faces an old foe with a hideous new face!

JACK OF FABLES #41
New storyline! A new era for JACK OF FABLES begins in earnest when Jack Frost and his wooden owl MacDuff find themselves in a strange new world – a world with giant millipede mounts, ancient space elevators and ray guns that go zish! But things really get interesting when a scantily clad witch leads Jack to an ancient temple containing one of the most powerful weapons ever crafted: The Fulminate Blade.

GOD COMPLEX #1
Meet Paul, he's an everyday kind of guy. He's kinda tall, kinda strong and kinda not mortal at all. Paul is actually Apollo (no, really) in hiding... from his family... the ancient Greek gods. Paul's father (you know, Zeus) would rather see Paul dead than living as a mortal... So, for Paul, being a god is complex... and dangerous...

FORGETLESS #1
The Forgetless nightclub is the biggest party in New York, and now it's ending. But Sonia and Sara, struggling models turned professional killers, want to make sure it goes out with a bang. Derrick, a failed artist and hypnotist's assistant happens to be the unlucky guy caught in their crosshairs! From the creator/writer of Existence 2.0 and 3.0 comes a drug and sex-infused black comedy about surviving until last call.

INVINCIBLE #69
Everything is different now! Who is Universa?! Why did she come to this planet in search of the one called Invincible? What does it have to do with the impending Viltrumite Invasion?! And why did she decide to come now, on the eve of an attack from the Sequids? The answers to all these questions and even more questions piled on top of them -- in this issue of Invincible!

Marvel
CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHO WILL WIELD THE SHIELD?
Steve Rogers has returned, but Bucky Barnes is the current Captain America, and has come into his own in the role. Will there be two Captain Americas? Will Bucky go back to being the Winter Soldier? What will happen? Decisions, decisions, decisions....

SPIDER-MAN & THE SECRET WARS #1 (of 4)
How do ten heroes end up buried alive beneath one hundred and fifty BILLION tons of rock? And is the Hulk mad enough to do anything about it? What were the events that led up to this catastrophe? What are the heroes thinking? And with the weight of an entire mountain range above them, how do they go about their desperate fight for survival? All the answers are in the first issue of the series that takes you deeper into the classic events of the Secret Wars, and pulls the lid off stories that were left untold!

SIEGE: THE CABAL
THE SIEGE STARTS HERE!! Remember when you were first introduced to the Cabal, the gathering of the most sinister members of the Marvel Universe, and you said to yourself: Well, that's going to blow up in everyone's face! Well, you were right and it happens right here!! Norman Osborn faces off with Doctor Doom and his mysterious threat to Doom is revealed. All of this is setting the stage for next month's explosive event: SIEGE!

X-FACTOR #200
X-Factor has relocated back to New York, and their first client is a keeper: Franklin Richards, whose mom has disappeared and who figures that the premiere detective agency in the Marvel Universe has the best chance of finding her. Except Reed Richards doesn't seem especially cooperative in helping them locate his missing wife. What is he hiding, and does it have anything to do with the coming Darkness? Meanwhile, Val Cooper has some bad news for Monet: Her ambassador father has been taken prisoner by terrorists, and she has less than 24 hours to find him before he winds up getting his head cut off on video.

ED HANNIGAN: COVERED
Master artist Ed Hannigan did many of Marvel’s cover layouts of the late ’70s and early ’80s. Over that time, Ed created some of the most innovative cover designs ever. His covers for The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man still stand today as some of the finest of all time!
Today, Ed is 58 years old and has multiple sclerosis. Through special arrangement with the Hero Initiative, Marvel is offering Ed Hannigan: Covered, a massive 48-page collection of Ed’s covers, designs he created for other artists, and even rare glimpses at licensing and merchandising art Ed did. Best of all, proceeds benefit Ed Hannigan directly!

Boom!
INCORRUPTIBLE #1
Super villain Max Damage had an epiphany the day The Plutonian destroyed Sky City. When The Plutonian turned his back on humanity, Max Damage decided to step up. Now Max Damage has changed his name to Max Daring and turned from his formerly selfish ways to become Incorruptible. The flip side to this year's Irredeemable, examining the hard, difficult road to changing your ways and making a difference in the world. (Tie-in to Irredeemable)

IDW
ANGEL #28
An all-new adventure begins as Eisner-winning writer Bill Willingham (Fables) takes Angel down some pretty twisted roads as the group's (and its leader's) fame starts causing tension and testing loyalties. Starting in December, Willingham and new artist Brian Denham present part one of "The Crown Prince Syndrome!"

Mirage
MIRAGE UNIVERSE TP
Written and art by various.
At long last, an official sourcebook to the major characters that have appeared in the pages of Mirage Studios' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic books since the birth of the TMNT in 1984!

Radical
THE LAST DAYS OF AMERICAN CRIME #1
In the not-too-distant future, as a final response to terrorism and crime, the U.S. government plans in secret to broadcast a signal making it impossible for anyone to knowingly commit unlawful acts. To keep this from the public, the government creates a distraction, installing a new currency system using digital charge cards.
Enter Graham Brick, a career criminal never quite able to hit the big score. In a grand scheme, Graham intends to steal one of the charging stations, skip the country and live off unlimited funds for the rest of his life. But the media has leaked news of the anti-crime signal one week before it was to go live... and now Graham and his team have just a few days to turn the heist of the century into the last crime in American history.

Top Cow
PILOT SEASON: DEMONIC #1
The demon is in his head. The demon makes him strong. The demon gets angry when he doesn't kill. Scott Graves is possessed and he will do anything the demon asks as long as it promises not to make him kill his wife and daughter. Scott stalks in the night as Demonic, a vigilante known for savagely slaughtering the wicked. He asks himself, how long can he continue living this way and what if the demon isn't real?
Lord Shaper
Special Reviewer

Post by Lord Shaper »

Here's my workings atm:

The Creeper
Hellblazer: Pandemonium
Darkness/Darkchylde/Witchblade
Deadworld Vol 1
American MeGee's Grimm
Danzig Lyric Book

I'll be doing another search as well tomorrow when I don't have to work.
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

I just sent you an audio clip with my pick (Lobo: Highway to Hell 2)

Hope it works for you!
jonah
Reviewer

Picks & Clips

Post by jonah »

Hi,

Just sent my clips

1) Doom Patrol
2) What if: Secret Invasion
3) Guardians of the Galaxy
4) Doc Savage Double Novel

Regards,

RJD
Wood
Special Reviewer

Post by Wood »

A bunch of recommendations for you guys this month:

Angel 28
Incredible Hercules TPB
Agents of Atlas TPB
Jonah Hex 50
Last Day of American Crime 1
Unwritten TPB
Buffy: Willow one shot
Daytripper 1
Dr. Voodoo 3
God Complex 1

Enjoy!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Thanks everyone!!!
zack kruse
Reviewer

Post by zack kruse »

NOOOOO! I missed it. I'm sorry. For some reason I thought it wouldn't be until next week. I will try to do better next month
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

I just finished listening to the preview episode and dang it you guys are making me buy more books than I originally wanted. Seriously, thanks for Bob, John, and the guests for doing this. It helps me when I am on the fence on something.

These are the titles that you guys "convinced" me to get:

Batgirl #5 - I was going to stop with the first story arc for now, but with the extra discount and John gave a good pitch.

The 80 page giants both look good and the extra discount push me to get them both.

Wonder Woman #39 - I dropped this book months ago but you guys kept talking about how good this book was. I decided to give it another shot by picking up the two-parter with Black Canary. I liked it and ended up picking up the issues that I missed at the Baltimore Comic Con.

God Complex #1 - Again, I was on the fence with this book but with the extra discount and with you guys and Wood's pitch, I am going to pre-order the first issue.

Thanks,
Hassan
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Happy to hear we're turning you onto some good comics!!!