Welcome to the forum / Introduce Yourself

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Re: Welcome to the forum / Introduce Yourself

Post by MrAloha »

tehkeizer wrote:
MrAloha wrote: You picked the right time to jump back into comics with the DC Rebirth.
This was a huge factor in my jump back in. Along side civil war 2, i had to get in.

Dear tehkeizer,

If you get a chance, submit clips to future Previews Spotlight episodes.

Aloha!
victorvondoom
Reviewer

Post by victorvondoom »

Hello, my name is Jerry and I live in Michigan. I am 50 years old as of yesterday. When I was around seven years old I began to read a lot of comics. Many were purchased from the grocery store or the pharmacy, others were from yard sales. My best friend and I would lay in the grass in the backyard with a pile of comics and we were mesmerized by them. DC, Marvel, Charlton, old horror books, war comics, Richie Rich, you name it. Great memories. There was one book in particular that we bought from a spinner rack that blew my mind. Giant Size X-Men #1. For my birthday my mom gave me a subscription to X-Men and I read all of those fabulous Claremont issues as they came out. My mom read them as well. I was hooked for life.
After High School I went into the United States Army and during this time my reading was light, but I tried to keep up with some of my favorites. After returning from the Army, in the late 80’s, I was buying X books, Batman, GI Joe, and Avengers. Around 1990 I saved my pennies and subscribed to every Marvel title that was available. There were also several DC books I collected that were purchased at a local shop I was frequenting. Since that time I have read way too many books.
Every month for years I have ordered through DCBS and I also have a very nice local shop that I stop in at after work on Wednesday to pick up a few things. I have stuff in every format. From singles, trades, hardcovers, and omnibus. Recently I started using Marvel Unlimited and so far that has been a lot of fun as well. The reason I decided to give Marvel Unlimited a try is space constraints. I prefer physical comics by a mile over digital but I have reached a point where it’s time to downsize a bit, or at least slow down my physical acquisitions. A problem I am experiencing is that I stopped buying Marvel two months ago and I’m stuck in that six month period between when comics are released and appear on Unlimited.
The biggest problem for me is I like way too much stuff and I am constantly re-doing my pull list and adjusting what I want to buy and collect. It is a never ending cycle of adding and subtracting titles. I drive myself bonkers.
Other interests of mine include movies, science fiction, heavy metal music, toys, sports, and whatever else happens to strike my fancy. John, I also am a big fan of Power Rangers and Super Sentai. I have lots of it on dvd. My wife absolutely hates it, but she is a great sport overall.
I have worked for the Michigan Department of Transportation for nearly 29 years. My job classification is Heavy Truck Mechanic although five years ago I transitioned into the office and now I am the Parts Manager and Procurement Card Coordinator at my location.
The Comic Book Page Podcast has become a favorite of mine and I have been listening for a few years. Every Monday morning I listen to the Weekly Comics Spotlight while I am getting ready for work. This is my normal routine. It drives me nuts if it isn’t ready for download first thing. I enjoy your chats with Drew, Sam, and all of your other co-hosts, but I especially like when you do the round table episodes with Kay. I watch most of the same TV and movies that you guys do and I respect the viewpoints and insights that you present. Most of all, you seem like genuinely nice people, and I appreciate that.
Jerry
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

victorvondoom wrote:Hello, my name is Jerry and I live in Michigan.
Dear Jerry,

Welcome to the forum.

If you get chance, submit a clip to the monthly Previews Episode.

Aloha!
Jason
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

victorvondoom wrote:Hello, my name is Jerry and I live in Michigan.
Welcome to the forum, Jerry.
victorvondoom wrote:Since that time I have read way too many books.
I can relate.
victorvondoom wrote:Recently I started using Marvel Unlimited and so far that has been a lot of fun as well. The reason I decided to give Marvel Unlimited a try is space constraints. I prefer physical comics by a mile over digital but I have reached a point where it’s time to downsize a bit, or at least slow down my physical acquisitions.
Space does become a problem with physical comics.
victorvondoom wrote:A problem I am experiencing is that I stopped buying Marvel two months ago and I’m stuck in that six month period between when comics are released and appear on Unlimited.
That might be a pain now but it is a problem that will solve itself over the next few months.
victorvondoom wrote: The biggest problem for me is I like way too much stuff and I am constantly re-doing my pull list and adjusting what I want to buy and collect. It is a never ending cycle of adding and subtracting titles. I drive myself bonkers.
That is part of why I keep getting things during the dips in quality/enjoyment. Keeping track of what I'm getting and not getting would otherwise be much more time consuming.
victorvondoom wrote:John, I also am a big fan of Power Rangers and Super Sentai. I have lots of it on dvd. My wife absolutely hates it, but she is a great sport overall.
Super Sentai isn't for everyone. If you have any recommendations on places to buy older Super Sentai morphers, I'd appreciate it. I'm spending a bit over at Image Anime and they are great on current stuff but I'd sort of like to chase down some of the older toys if I can find them at reasonable prices.
victorvondoom wrote:I have worked for the Michigan Department of Transportation for nearly 29 years. My job classification is Heavy Truck Mechanic although five years ago I transitioned into the office and now I am the Parts Manager and Procurement Card Coordinator at my location.
Twenty-nine years at the same place is amazing. Most people these days tend to switch jobs every few years.
victorvondoom wrote:The Comic Book Page Podcast has become a favorite of mine and I have been listening for a few years. Every Monday morning I listen to the Weekly Comics Spotlight while I am getting ready for work. This is my normal routine. It drives me nuts if it isn’t ready for download first thing. I enjoy your chats with Drew, Sam, and all of your other co-hosts, but I especially like when you do the round table episodes with Kay. I watch most of the same TV and movies that you guys do and I respect the viewpoints and insights that you present. Most of all, you seem like genuinely nice people, and I appreciate that.
Jerry
I'm glad you are enjoying the podcast.

I schedule the Weekly Comics Spotlight to release at 2am Monday morning. I think the server is on the west coast so that should be Pacific Time but I'm not 100% certain of that. If the episode does go up at that point, it means I probably messed up on the posting/scheduling of the episode. It happens. Once in a while I forget to attach the MP3 file or click "publish" on the episode. If it happens, feel free to email me so I know about it and can fix it.

It took a while to get my sister to agree to do the podcast episodes but that are a ton of fun. We've got a number of ones coming up soon now that the television season has ended. We've also got a bunch of DVD/BluRays stacked up to watch and discuss as we have time.

Thanks for posting and, again, welcome to the forum.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
captainbigapple
Passerby

Post by captainbigapple »

Hi. I am Captain Zorikh and I am a lifelong comic book fan.

There was a brief period of a year or three in which my comic buying declines, but thwn when I started at the School of Visual Arts for my second attempt at college, I got a job working at the comic book shop next door. By the time I graduated, my 5-box collection had expanded to 13 boxes.

since then I have been working on a research project about the history of the many Captain Marvel (http://www.captainmarvelculture.com). I started with one short box of "Shazam" and Marvel's Captain Mar-Vell, with a few Ms. Marvels and Avengers thrown in. Now I have 22 sort boxes with almost every issue that contained any Captain Marvel, as well as spin-offs, rip-offs, spoofs, satires, and tributes.

I also work for the big Apple Comic Convention , which gives me access to many of the creators who have worked on one or another Captain Marvel. This has been of invaluable use in my project.

I expect to have it done by the time the Big Apple Con comes around again March 11-1 next year.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

captainbigapple wrote:Hi. I am Captain Zorikh and I am a lifelong comic book fan.

There was a brief period of a year or three in which my comic buying declines, but thwn when I started at the School of Visual Arts for my second attempt at college, I got a job working at the comic book shop next door. By the time I graduated, my 5-box collection had expanded to 13 boxes.

since then I have been working on a research project about the history of the many Captain Marvel (http://www.captainmarvelculture.com). I started with one short box of "Shazam" and Marvel's Captain Mar-Vell, with a few Ms. Marvels and Avengers thrown in. Now I have 22 sort boxes with almost every issue that contained any Captain Marvel, as well as spin-offs, rip-offs, spoofs, satires, and tributes.

I also work for the big Apple Comic Convention , which gives me access to many of the creators who have worked on one or another Captain Marvel. This has been of invaluable use in my project.

I expect to have it done by the time the Big Apple Con comes around again March 11-1 next year.
Welcome aboard - is research part of masters or PhD program - sounds pretty interesting...
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
captainbigapple
Passerby

Post by captainbigapple »

Thanks!

The research is for a book to be titled "Captain MArvel Culture." The thesis is that the name "Captain MArvel" is the most important name of a superhero to follow in comics with regards to Western popular culture and history, because unlike any other superhero (who evolved over the years, but was always the same character), Every Captain Marvel was created from scratch to serve the market of the day.

In addition to the book, there are videos on YouTube, a rather active blog, and a Facebook page and group (there are presences on other social media platforms, but not as active). You can find it all starting at http://www.captainmarvelculture.com
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

captainbigapple wrote:Hi. I am Captain Zorikh and I am a lifelong comic book fan.
Dear Captain Zorikh,

Welcome to the forum.

Aloha!
JamesJB
Passerby

Post by JamesJB »

Hey everybody, I'm James from Kowabunga Comics in Wisconsin. I'm 32, but I've been reading comics (or staring at pictures) for at least 30 of them. I'll try to provide a bit of retailer perspective when available. Great seeing you and Kay in San Diego, John!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

JamesJB wrote:Hey everybody, I'm James from Kowabunga Comics in Wisconsin. I'm 32, but I've been reading comics (or staring at pictures) for at least 30 of them. I'll try to provide a bit of retailer perspective when available. Great seeing you and Kay in San Diego, John!
hey james nice to see you here
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
MrCosmic
Passerby

Post by MrCosmic »

Hello!

I've been a listener to the podcast for about a year now. Until fairly recently I hadn't listened to much other than the CGS podcast. I know bralinator from their forums..I see an AlienAl here too and I wonder if it's the same one?

On to the questions...

who are you? MrCosmic

what do you read? Most of what I read has historically been from "The Big 2" but I've enjoyed independents along the way. I'm a huge Jonathan Hickman fan...so when his books actually come out I read them.

why are you here? As I said above I've pretty much only listened to the CGS guys for a long time but over the past year or so I've been trying out new podcasts. From listening to the episodes, especially the Previews Spotlight, it seems that John puts a lot of emphasis on community interaction and it's hard to not want to be involved in something like that.

What is your real name? James

How old are you? 37 in November

What do you do for a living? I drive an open pit mine production truck. Y'know, those monster trucks the size of a house that move earth?

What kinds of comic books do you like? Mostly superhero stuff but I've been a fan of The Walking Dead, East of West, Saga, etc

About how many comic book issues a week/month do you buy? It varies but I'd say around 20-30 a month.

Do you buy mainly issues, trades, digital? Mostly single issues but some things I just buy in trade because it's easier to read that way or the issues come out so far apart it only makes sense to wait. I have dabbled in digital..both comixology and the MU app.

How many do you read every week/month? With my job I actually have down time while my truck is being loaded. I can usually get all my comics and trades read at work.

How long have you been reading comics? I've been reading comics for as long as I can remember. When I was around 10 years old I got into them in a big way. However, by the time I was 12 I was already done with them(sports, girls, video games, etc got in the way). When I turned 21 I got back into comics, pretty much bought every issue I had as a kid, and started buying new issues monthly again and haven't looked back.

How long have you been listening to the Comic Book Page podcast? About a year.

Do you submit clips to the Previews Spotlight episodes? (If not, why not?) No, but that doesn't mean that I won't. :)
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Welcome to the ComicBookPage forums MrCosmic!
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

Mr. Cosmic,

Will to the forum.

If you get a chance in the future, please submit a clip to the Previews Spotlight Episode.

Aloha!
AHobbit
Passerby

Post by AHobbit »

Hi, how are you? My name is Ernst Dabel, and I'm the President of Dabel Brothers Publishing www.dabelbrothers.com We first became known for our graphic novel adaptation of George R.R. Martin's (HBO's Game of Thrones) "The Hedge Knight" in 2003. Since then we've worked with countless other titles by numerous bestselling authors such as Charlaine Harris (HBO's True Blood) Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Robert Jordan, Laurell K. Hamilton, Raymond E. Feist, Jim Butcher and many others. It's a pleasure to meet you all :)
tehkeizer
Contributor

Post by tehkeizer »

Welcome! also...
AHobbit wrote:We first became known for our graphic novel adaptation of George R.R. Martin's (HBO's Game of Thrones) "The Hedge Knight" in 2003.
i LOVE that book. 100% i will be looking for your adaptation. I love the stories of early Dunc and Aeg. Will you be doing any of his other books?