Free Comic Book Day 2011

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Free Comic Book Day 2011

Post by BobBretall »

Put up your plans for FCBD 2011 (this Saturday May 7th) on this thread.

Maybe people who are in similar locations can get together at a shop here or there down the line!

PS: I read a press preview of the Red5 Atomic Robo FCBD comic today. WOW! I love Robo, and this was a superb 5/5 story. Make sure you pick up a copy of this book on Saturday!!!
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

No plans but I told my subscriber to save me copies of:

Amazing Spiderman
Elric
Worlds of Aspen

I'm getting interested with Aspen, with Fathom and the Executive Assistant stuff, as well as Charismagic. So this Worlds of Aspen will be a good book.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

My day is looking like this so far, I'm planning to synch up w/ LARabbit @ Golden Apple around 12:30-1pm.

9am - Nuclear Comics & Skate - Laguna Niguel, CA
- They have an "open selection" policy that allows you to snag as many FCBD comics as you want, plus a great $1 bin sale out in the back parking lot. They are also having 50% off on all comics except "New this month"

11am - Comics Toons'n'Toys - Tustin, CA
- They'll be having some local artists in attendance this year doing sketches as well as a sale. Generally you can pick 5 or 6 FCBD comics & they get a really good selection of even the Indie ones.

1pm - Golden Apple Comics - 7018 Melrose Av, LA, CA
- 20% off sale, lots of 50 cent books, and creator signings all day (including Kirkman). Free Green (lantern) tea & hot dogs.

3pm - Meltdown Comics - 7522 Sunset Bl, LA, CA
- No detail on their Web-site yet, but I thought LARabbit was telling me they had something cool scheduled....

My goal (as last year) is to get & read ALL the FCBD comics. Does anyone want one of these marathon FCBD review episodes like I did last year?
Last edited by BobBretall on Tue May 03, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danscomics
Special Reviewer

Post by Danscomics »

Being a comic shop owner my plans are basically my own event. I will be at the Salina Free Library in Mattydale NY from 9-3 doing an event on Comics and Literacy. Basically I will be giving out comics to kids and handouts to parents about how to help kids choose age appropriate comics. Plus I will be happy to talk to anyone that stops by and wants to talk. It should be a good time.
We now have digital comics for sale. Check out our shop

Looking for comics or games? Check out my main store and Comic Collector Live store. You can also sign up for the Comic Collector's Club subscription service on my main site.
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

I'm planning on taking my 4-year old daughter to the local comic shop at New England Comics in Norwood, MA. They usually have a couple local artists doing free small sketches. They're having a 50% off sale back issues. They usually limit the number of free comics you can take to like 4 or 5, I can't remember exactly.

Sure Bob, I like your mini-reviews of all the Free Comic Book Day offerings. I don't get to see them all like you do and it's interesting to at least hear you talk about them.
Frank Castle
Master Reviewer

Post by Frank Castle »

Portland has some good creators and is making it tempting for me to drive on down. Terry and Rachel Dodson, Dustin Weaver, Steve Lieber and ton of other local guys.

My shop in Lynnwood WA is having some local guy, nothing major. An hr south though will be Ben Templesmith so that could be something.
Frank Castle
Master Reviewer

Post by Frank Castle »

Oh snap, another local store here is going to have Nate Simpson of Nonplayer signing. That should be fun!!
Frank Castle
Master Reviewer

Post by Frank Castle »

So my little family and I ventured out to four stores in the Seattle area for FCBD. Picked up a bunch of books, trades and figures at the various sales. There were also a couple local artists and my son and I picked up 3 sketches:

Hulk by Moritat

Punisher by Greg Scott Bailey

Punisher by Nate Simpson

If you've read Nonplayer, you know Nate has some skill. Gonna to try and nail him down for a full blown commission later but the man is super swamped with Nonplayer.

All in all, a fun little day. Turning into a 'convention' of sort for my oldest, he just loves it!

CAF link for more views/comments if you like.
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryNew.asp?GCat=23719
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

How long did it take those guys to do those sketches?
Frank Castle
Master Reviewer

Post by Frank Castle »

abysslord wrote:How long did it take those guys to do those sketches?
10-20 mins each. All of them were done in pencil.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Frank Castle wrote: Punisher by Nate Simpson

If you've read Nonplayer, you know Nate has some skill. Gonna to try and nail him down for a full blown commission later but the man is super swamped with Nonplayer.
I'm super-jealous of this one (not that I'd get Punisher, but I'd love a Nate Simpson sketch!
Frank Castle
Master Reviewer

Post by Frank Castle »

BobBretall wrote:
Frank Castle wrote: If you've read Nonplayer, you know Nate has some skill. Gonna to try and nail him down for a full blown commission later but the man is super swamped with Nonplayer.
I'm super-jealous of this one (not that I'd get Punisher, but I'd love a Nate Simpson sketch!
We talked about you and the interview on the podcast. He said you were one of the nicest interviews and good guys around the comic webs! He was thankful for your support and then jealous when I told him about your comic museum.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Darkwing Duck by James Silvani -> from Nuclear Comics & Skate, Laguna Hills, CA

Red Sonja by Tess Fowler -> from Collector's Paradise #2, Pasadena, CA

Mouse Guard (Liam) by David Petersen -> from Collector's Paradise #2, Pasadena, CA
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

OK, I read all 37 of the FCBD comics and a few stood out in my mind as "best from an existing comics reader's POV", I think the list would be different if I was looking it as "Best for kids" or "Best for new readers".

My Top 5 FCBD Comics:

Atomic Robo (Red 5) - One of the best Robo stories ever, and a couple of pretty good sneak peeks at Foster Broussard & Moon Girl

Spontaneous (Oni) - A very cool concept, I really liked this complete 1st issue of the series. Oni did this last year with Sixth Gun & I'm still loving that series.

Spider-Man (Marvel) - Dan Slott does a great job bringing people up to speed on Spidey's current Status quo, and I liked the guest appearance by Shang Chi.

Elric: The Balance Lost (Boom!) - Great intro to the Elric story and a really nice essay on Elric in the back. Elric looks like Elric should look, loved the full-page shots of Corum & Hawkmoon.

Captain America & Thor (Marvel) - Marvel had a great FCBD year! Beautiful Chris Samnee art and a fun story by Langridge, what more can you ask for?
Danscomics
Special Reviewer

Post by Danscomics »

From a marketing standpoint I thought that the Darkwing Duck/Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers from Boom! was great. They reprinted the full first issues of both, so I could tell people "pick this up because it is 2 full issues, and if you like them go find the trades to read the rest of the stories."
We now have digital comics for sale. Check out our shop

Looking for comics or games? Check out my main store and Comic Collector Live store. You can also sign up for the Comic Collector's Club subscription service on my main site.