Previews Spotlight #051 (Jan->Mar): Fri Jan 6th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Previews Spotlight #051 (Jan->Mar): Fri Jan 6th: 5pm pac

Post by BobBretall »

Previews should come out on Dec 28th/29th (depending on if there's a shipping delay for Christmas). That should put the call on Friday Jan 6th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

Submissions for the Previews Spotlight #051 show should be in by Saturday Morning, 8am pacific time, Jan 7th

As always, get on Skype around the start time (or join any time after, the call can run 4 hours of rousing comics chat) and look for thejohnmayo OR BobBretall & message to get joined into the call.

Of course you can start sending in submissions as soon as you have them done. Sending them in early is appreciated as it give us more time to organize the clips and plan out the episode.

Discuss any of the new comics AND call dibs on reviewing any particular comic on this thread.

Remember: We encourage anyone to send in a short audio clip where they can talk about any book that's coming out in the upcoming Previews that they are really excited about. The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com. (Some people were only send them to either just John or just Bob and we both need to get them to prepare to recording the episode. By using TheGuys email address, the email goes to both Bob and John.)

PLEASE: Each featured item should be in a separate audio file.

We would also appreciate it if you put the page number followed by the full name of the item in the filename. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Dark Horse (Comic Book Resources)

DC (Comic Book Resources)

IDW (Comics Continuum)

Image (Comic Book Resources)

Marvel (Comic Book Resources)

--------------------------------------------

Antarctic (Comics Continuum)

Ape (Comics Continuum)

Arcana (Comics Continuum)

Archie (Comics Continuum)

Ardden (Comics Continuum)

Aspen (Comics Continuum)

Bluewater (Comics Continuum)

Bongo (Comics Continuum)

Boom! (Comics Continuum)

Dynamite (Comics Continuum)

Moonstone (Comics Continuum)

Oni (Comics Continuum)

Red 5 (Comics Continuum)

Zenescope (Comics Continuum)

12 Gauge
215 Ink
Archaia
Big Dog Ink
Radical
Last edited by BobBretall on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

I'm going to be dropping my 1st book from the New52, just on general principles:

I do not get JL: Dark
I do get I, Vampire
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #7
Straight off the shocking events of last month’s I, VAMPIRE #6, vampires across the world have gone berserk, attacking anyone and everyone with a pulse. Fearing her apocalyptic vision of the future has come to pass, Madame Xanadu mobilizes the team to intervene. But everything the JL Dark members know about how to slay a vampire is useless, for the world has changed. It’s a crossover that had to be, continuing into this month’s I, VAMPIRE #7!
I, VAMPIRE #7
Straight off the shocking events of last issue and continuing the story from this month’s JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #7, Andrew Bennett finds himself in a place he never thought he’d reach during his countless decades walking the Earth. But his absence on Earth signals a deadly loss of order in the vampire hierarchy, as the savage attack on humanity he’s long feared looks like its coming to pass.
Sorry, DC. I'm not going to get forced into getting JL Dark to read the I, Vampire story. I'm sorry that this attempt to increase circulation is going to cause me to drop the book. I hope more people jump on than jump off for Josh Fialkov's sake, he's a great guy, but I'm voting against this kind of marketing gimmick with my wallet.

I, Vampire #6, the end of the 1st story arc, will be my last issue of that title.

The best way to get me to drop more DC titles is to cross the stories over like this between something I am getting and something I'm not getting. I will guaranteed drop a title every time DC does this.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

NIGHT FORCE #1
Written by MARV WOLFMAN
Art by TOM MANDRAKE
Marv Wolfman reimagines his classic adventure series for the new millennium!
There’s a conspiracy under way that’s been going on for hundreds of years. One determined cop has unknowingly scratched the surface and suddenly finds himself summoned to Wintersgate Manor. But this chilling menace may prove to be too big even for Baron Winters.
I'll definitely be checking this one out. I loved Night Force back in the day & will be curious to see how Wolfman "reimagines" this.

I will also try out the 4 new Vertigo series, at least the 1st issues of each:

DOMINIQUE LAVEAU: VOODOO CHILD #1
Written by SELWYN SEFU HINDS
Art by DENYS COWAN and JOHN FLOYD
Cover by RAFAEL GRAMPA
DOMINIQUE LAVEAU: VOODOO CHILD is the story of a half-breed, outcast and heir to the Voodoo Queenship of New Orleans, if she can live long enough to claim her birthright. New Orleans is the most haunted city in America: a town of centuries-old ghosts and newly drowned spirits; where vampires, voodoo spirits and loups-garous make their home. Ruling over this all are the powerful Voodoo Queens, whose influence stretches into politics, business and crime as they maintain a delicate balance between the mortal and supernatural worlds.
But in the aftermath of Katrina, all that has changed, for someone or something has murdered the Voodoo Queen and most of her court. The number one suspect is Dominique Laveau, a grad student at Tulane who is about to discover that her entire life has been a lie. Now Dominique must forge alliances with those out to kill her while seeking to uncover the truth behind the royal murders, as she is ultimately forced to deal with a destiny she could never have imagined. Voodoo Child is a new monthly series written by Selwyn Seyfu Hinds, former editor-in-chief of The Source magazine, award-winning author, journalist and TV producer, with art by Milestone Media co-founder Denys Cowan (THE QUESTION) and covers by Rafael Grampá.
Clunky title, but sounds like it could be very cool
THE NEW DEADWARDIANS #1
Written by DAN ABNETT
Art and cover by I. N. J. CULBARD
Another vampire/zombie comic? Really, Vertigo?
Trust us. This is different.
In post-Victorian England, nearly everyone of the upper classes has voluntarily become a vampire to escape the lower classes who are all zombies.
Into this simmering cauldron is thrust Chief Inspector George Suttle, a lonely detective who’s got the slowest beat in London: investigating murders in a world where everyone is already dead!
But when the body of a young aristocrat washes up on the banks of the Thames, Suttle’s quest for the truth will take him from the darkest sewers to the gleaming halls of power, and reveal the rotten heart at the center of this strange world.
Sounds like a cool new twist on a vampire/zombie book. I'll give this a look & see how I like it.
SAUCER COUNTRY #1
Written by PAUL CORNELL
Art and cover by RYAN KELLY
Arcadia Alvarado, the leading Democratic candidate for President of the United States, says she was “abducted by aliens.”
As the Mexican-American Governor of New Mexico, she’s dealing with immigration, budget cuts and an alcoholic ex. She’s about to toss her hat into the ring as a candidate for President in the most volatile political climate ever.
But then…a lonely road and a nightmarish encounter have left her with terrible, half-glimpsed memories. And now she has to become President. To expose the truth – and maybe, to save the world.
Arcadia’s quest is at the heart of this new monthly series from writer Paul Cornell (DEMON KNIGHTS, ACTION COMICS, Doctor Who) and artist Ryan Kelly (NEW YORK FIVE, NORTHLANDERS). With the help of her quirky staff, Arcadia will pursue the truth of her abduction into danger, mystery and awe. SAUCER COUNTRY is a dark thriller that blends UFO lore and alien abduction with political intrigue, all set in the hauntingly beautiful Southwest.
I usually like Cornell's work and am excited to check out a new series he's created himself.
FAIREST #1
Written by BILL WILLINGHAM
Art by PHIL JIMENEZ and ANDY LANNING
New York Times best-selling, award-winning creator Bill Willingham presents a new series starring the female FABLES. Balancing horror, humor and adventure, FAIREST explores the secret histories of Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, Cinderella, The Snow Queen, Thumbelina, Snow White, Rose Red and others.
The first 6 issue arc follows the misadventures of Briar Rose after she is stolen away by the goblin army in FABLES #107.
I've been looking forward to this Fables spin-off series for a LONG time. Probably looking forward to the 2nd arc (with another Cinderella story) even more!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

I'm also curious about this Batman OGN HC. Not sure I want to drop $25 on it, but I'd like to know more..... A DCBS 50% discount could easily get me to pull the trigger on it, though.
BATMAN: DEATH BY DESIGN DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by CHIP KIDD
Art and cover by DAVE TAYLOR
On sale MAY 30 • 112 pg, 6.75” x 10.25”, FC, $24.99 US
In this new, original graphic novel from superstar writer/designer Chip Kidd and artist Dave Taylor, Gotham City is undergoing one of the most expansive construction booms in its history. The most prestigious architects from across the globe have buildings in various phases of completion all over town. As chairman of the Gotham Landmarks Commission, Bruce Wayne has been a key part of this boom, which signals a golden age of architectural ingenuity for the city. And then, the explosions begin.
All manner of design-related malfunctions – faulty crane calculations, sturdy materials suddenly collapsing, software glitches, walkways giving way and more – cause casualties across the city. This bizarre string of seemingly random catastrophes threatens to bring down the whole construction industry. Fingers are pointed as Batman must somehow solve the problem and find whoever is behind it all.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

For Dark Horse, no Usagi this month :-(

Mignola-verse:
B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH: THE LONG DEATH #2 (of 3)
B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH: THE PICKENS COUNTY HORROR #1 (of 2)
LOBSTER JOHNSON: THE BURNING HAND #3 (of 5)
....(interesting, they generally don't run 2 BPRD series at the same time, so they?)

Conan stuff:
CONAN THE BARBARIAN #2
KING CONAN: THE PHOENIX ON THE SWORD #3 (of 4)

Others:
DARK HORSE PRESENTS #10
ORCHID #5
STAR WARS: CRIMSON EMPIRE III—EMPIRE LOST #6 (of 6)
MANARA EROTICA VOLUME 1: CLICK! AND OTHER STORIES HC
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

BobBretall wrote: Sorry, DC. I'm not going to get forced into getting JL Dark to read the I, Vampire story. I'm sorry that this attempt to increase circulation is going to cause me to drop the book. I hope more people jump on than jump off for Josh Fialkov's sake, he's a great guy, but I'm voting against this kind of marketing gimmick with my wallet.

I, Vampire #6, the end of the 1st story arc, will be my last issue of that title.
Would you consider just not getting that issue of I, Vampire and picking it back up when a new story arc comes along? If people did that DC should see a dip during the crossover and get the same idea.

I'm surprised DC is doing this and I don't like it either. It's one thing to have stuff crossover but be separate like Frankenstein and OMAC. I believe that crossover will have each issue tell the story from a different point of view. But to have a part 1, part 2, part 3 etc. in different titles, that's bad form....especially when they're not really related. Maybe the solicits are just written poorly and you can still read each issue separate?
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

abysslord wrote:
BobBretall wrote: Sorry, DC. I'm not going to get forced into getting JL Dark to read the I, Vampire story. I'm sorry that this attempt to increase circulation is going to cause me to drop the book. I hope more people jump on than jump off for Josh Fialkov's sake, he's a great guy, but I'm voting against this kind of marketing gimmick with my wallet.

Would you consider just not getting that issue of I, Vampire and picking it back up when a new story arc comes along? If people did that DC should see a dip during the crossover and get the same idea.
I'm a completest when it comes to collecting comics. I'm not going to have a small storyline gap in the #s I own. If I skip #7, it means I'm dropping the series.

Maybe down the road if the series doesn't get cancelled I can jump back on & buy the missing issues as back issues, but we'll see. For right now, I'll vote against crossovers like this the only way I can.

If they wanted to show JL Dark interacting with the Vampires, they just should have had them guest star in I, Vampire for an issue or 2. Not do this kind of crossover.

I've very disappointed that DC is using this tactic so soon after the re-launch.
torchsong
Special Reviewer

Post by torchsong »

Gonna be a very trade-heavy order for me next time around:

- Empowered Volume 7 - This series never gets old, and I figured it was a one joke thing from the beginning. Shows what I get for thinking.

- FLCL Omnibus. I have the Tokyopop version in two volumes but it was really weak. I'm curious to see what remastered pages means, but I do trust Dark Horse to do a better translation.

- Cinderella 2nd Series Trade - Loved the first one for the covers alone. Who knew there'd be a great story to go along with it? :)

To the other topic of conversation, I just dropped JL: Dark from my pull list. I wanted to like it, and maybe over time something will come of it, but despite moment of absolute brilliance and mentioning Joan Armatrading (one of my favorite musicians) it's just not happening. I'm sure this isn't the last time they'll try crossovers like this but it's simply too soon, DC. To me it's saying there's a lack of faith in either this book or the Vampire one to make it over the long haul...or both of them for that matter.
"That...that HAIR!!!" - Deadpool, Deadpool #11
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Post by boshuda »

BobBretall wrote:
THE NEW DEADWARDIANS #1
Written by DAN ABNETT
Art and cover by I. N. J. CULBARD
Another vampire/zombie comic? Really, Vertigo?
Trust us. This is different.
In post-Victorian England, nearly everyone of the upper classes has voluntarily become a vampire to escape the lower classes who are all zombies.
Into this simmering cauldron is thrust Chief Inspector George Suttle, a lonely detective who’s got the slowest beat in London: investigating murders in a world where everyone is already dead!
But when the body of a young aristocrat washes up on the banks of the Thames, Suttle’s quest for the truth will take him from the darkest sewers to the gleaming halls of power, and reveal the rotten heart at the center of this strange world.
Sounds like a cool new twist on a vampire/zombie book. I'll give this a look & see how I like it.
FAIREST #1
Written by BILL WILLINGHAM
Art by PHIL JIMENEZ and ANDY LANNING
New York Times best-selling, award-winning creator Bill Willingham presents a new series starring the female FABLES. Balancing horror, humor and adventure, FAIREST explores the secret histories of Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, Cinderella, The Snow Queen, Thumbelina, Snow White, Rose Red and others.
The first 6 issue arc follows the misadventures of Briar Rose after she is stolen away by the goblin army in FABLES #107.
I've been looking forward to this Fables spin-off series for a LONG time. Probably looking forward to the 2nd arc (with another Cinderella story) even more!
These two look especially exciting. I hope one or both of these end up ongoing. There's a gap of ongoing titles in general, but I feel like this is particularly true for Vertigo.

BobBretall wrote:If they wanted to show JL Dark interacting with the Vampires, they just should have had them guest star in I, Vampire for an issue or 2. Not do this kind of crossover.

I've very disappointed that DC is using this tactic so soon after the re-launch.
I like these types of crossovers -- small, and contained in related books. They feel like a comics staple to me. Maybe I don't mind because I'm collecting both books. I also feel it's especially important for I, Vampire to crossover with the 'regular' DCU on a regular basis to remind me why it isn't a Vertigo title.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

boshuda wrote: I like these types of crossovers -- small, and contained in related books. They feel like a comics staple to me. Maybe I don't mind because I'm collecting both books. I also feel it's especially important for I, Vampire to crossover with the 'regular' DCU on a regular basis to remind me why it isn't a Vertigo title.
If I was getting both books, it wouldn't have mattered to me either.

You can crossover with the 'regular' DCU by pulling characters from the DCU into the pages of I, Vampire, you don't need to do a part 1 & 2 crossover across 2 books.

Anyway, I've made my feelings known. DC can help me winnow my DC pull-list down to zero if they do enough of these kinds of crossovers.
Danscomics
Special Reviewer

Post by Danscomics »

BobBretall wrote: Previews should come out on Dec 28th/29th (depending on if there's a shipping delay for Christmas). That should put the call on Friday Jan 6th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.
As far as Diamond is saying, everything will be out on the 28th, including Previews. The only delay that may occur is for stores like mine that get day early delivery, we may not get our shipment until Wednesday.
BobBretall wrote: Anyway, I've made my feelings known. DC can help me winnow my DC pull-list down to zero if they do enough of these kinds of crossovers.
That is likely to happen from what I have been reading. They have been talking since the beginning about the different sections of the new universe crossing over within themselves (I,Vampire and Justice League Dark being part of DC Universe: The Dark).

I dropped I,Vampire after issue #2 and will be dropped Justice League Dark at #3 so it doesn't really affect me. I dread some of the other crossovers in DC Universe: The Dark and DC Universe: The Edge where most of my drops have occurred but there are still books I really want to keep reading.
We now have digital comics for sale. Check out our shop

Looking for comics or games? Check out my main store and Comic Collector Live store. You can also sign up for the Comic Collector's Club subscription service on my main site.
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

BobBretall wrote:

You can crossover with the 'regular' DCU by pulling characters from the DCU into the pages of I, Vampire, you don't need to do a part 1 & 2 crossover across 2 books.

Anyway, I've made my feelings known. DC can help me winnow my DC pull-list down to zero if they do enough of these kinds of crossovers.

I'm actually looking forward to the Animal Man and Swamp Thing crossover that I've heard about in interviews. I thought that sounded interesting. But that's one where I'm already getting both titles.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

IanG wrote:
BobBretall wrote:

I'm actually looking forward to the Animal Man and Swamp Thing crossover that I've heard about in interviews. I thought that sounded interesting. But that's one where I'm already getting both titles.
Same here, although I could understand Bob's feeling on this issue as well. Even if I wasn't getting both titles, it doesn't bother me as much because the crossover is over one issue of each book. It bothers me when it is over several months, unless I am a big fan of majority of the books in the crossover.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

BobBretall wrote:For Dark Horse, no Usagi this month :-(

Mignola-verse:
B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH: THE LONG DEATH #2 (of 3)
B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH: THE PICKENS COUNTY HORROR #1 (of 2)
LOBSTER JOHNSON: THE BURNING HAND #3 (of 5)
....(interesting, they generally don't run 2 BPRD series at the same time, so they?)
Based on Dark Horse announcement for BPRD for 2012, that is going to be more the norm.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

There is a lot of good stuff coming from DC, but I am bias :)

I will be getting Night Force and the first issues of the new Vertigo books. I tend to get Fables in trade, but will get the first issue as I have been looking forward to this book since it was announced.

Also a lot of great collections:
Batman: No Man's Land Vol 2 TP - This came out during the period where I stopped reading the Batman comics and majority of DC/Marvel super-hero books, so I never read the complete story, but I heard good things about it. $29.99 for over 500 pages of story is a good deal. I just got the first volume from Amazon today.

Batman:Knightfall Vol 1
Now, I did read this coming out, but I got rid of those issues long time ago. This is a massive trade collection, 640 pages for $29.99. DC is planning on releasing two more volumes that collects the entire Knightfall storyline for the first time (Batman's fall to Azrael's Batman run to the return of Batman). Since it has been years since I read this and it looks like it is a nice trade collection, I will probably get this as well.

Green Lantern Archives Vol 7 - It seems that DC is back on the Archives and I need to do some catch up.

Secret Society of Super-Villains Vol 2 - I got the first hardcover, so I want to complete my set.

Showcase Presents: All-Star Squadron Vol 1 TP - I wish DC was doing a color version of this, but I have to get this. Or I might just hunt the back issues and create my own trade of it. (Never done it before, but this series could be a good start).

Cinderella: Fables are Forever - I was trade waiting for this and will pre-order it so I could get it when it comes out.

The New 52 Hardcovers - I am not sure which ones I would double dip at this point, but I am sure that I will buy some.